+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The most versatile fly?

Blog Entries

I certainly reserve the right to be wrong, I think that the versatility referred to in the question was the versatility of manners in which the fly can be fished, i.e. as a dry, wet, or streamer. If that is the case, then my favorite variation of the Woolly Bugger is equally versatile. I often Gink them to use as a dry fly, or an emerger since they ride in the surface film. Sometimes I swing them as wets and sometimes I treat as streamers.

With regards to general efficacy in a variety of circumstances and against a variety of quarries, I still believe what I posted about the size 6 Olive Woolly Bugger several years ago.

One fly to rule them all.
    One fly to find them.
    One fly to bring them all,
    And to the tippet bind them.
    :O

Regards,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    People again falling into the trout-centric narrow vision. Take an Adams out on a lake where bass are pushing shad to the surface and see how it does- or out in the salt for bluefish or stripers. For catching all kinds of fish in the most number of circumstances, nothing can beat a pattern suggestive of a baitfish. ALL gamefish eat smaller fish, at least occasionally. Simplest, easiest, and most adaptable style is a properly tied Clouser's Deep Minnow.

Second choice might be a Woolly Bugger in any number of colors and details.

Drop me anywhere in the world with a variety of CDMs and WBs and fish will be caught.
    The Hornberg is quite effective for many freshwater species and it also works well for saltwater species. They can be fished to represent baitfish, crabs, and shrimp. By sliding a foam cylinder or head over the tippet before thing the fly on, then pushing the foam onto the hook eye, they can be fished as a popper or slider.

The soft hackle. It is truly a versatile fly.

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    I certainly reserve the right to be wrong,

Regards,
    Ed
    Sure,,,but I think you're right.
    nam

Quote Originally Posted by zaxaca View Post
    I'll nominate a Renegade.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Renegade.htm
    You beat me to the punch. I fish it dry, wet, and stripped like a streamer. I haven't used it as a nymph yet, but I suspect it would work just fine.
    Bob

I'm on the Renegade wagoon drinking its fantastic Kool Aid! I fish it dry and wet, but will also add some weight to the hook and get down deeper as well.

Cheers
    Brandon

royal coachman

........ in endless variations. I already have a pattern in mind for a wooly bugger royal coachman lol . I'm always amazed at the fish I can catch on what many can consider technical hard fished water with a sz 10 RC marabou winged wet fly.The royal coachman works top to bottom and if you got the skill and can find a hook you can tie it to sz 40 ala Helen Shaw!

Impressionistic, has colors, plus action. It has some pedigree. Dry, wet, nymph and streamer, fresh and saltwater. It also looks good in the fly box and great in a fishing hat and is a standout in a wall hung shadow box.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Vermont Hare's Ear

Enough vote for hornbergs that I decided to tie up a couple. I don't have jungle cock. I hope the fish like starling feathers instead. I already carry muddlers, woolly buggers and renegades.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

If you're gonna cave that easily, you might as well tye some Alexandras, too.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread