+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget backing suggestions

I had the same problem so just cut a strip of craft foam the width of the spool and wound it on the reel in place of the backing. E Z and cheap. I know, I am a cheap skate. Yea buddy.

Backing is one of those thing that most of the time you don't need, but when you need it, you REALLY need it.

I think I have some backing on most of my reels, I have one with as much as I can get on it. I haven't needed it so far, but I keep hoping the day will come when I will.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Hey Mike! Good to hear ya starting to gear up for the season ! (sorry to interrupt this thread... :-/)
    I hope for you alot more time on the water this year ...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Anyone that can't afford the price of backing should take up a different sport. Mention Fly fishing and the price goes up. Why so many fly rods that can all catch the same size fish?

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    Anyone that can't afford the price of backing should take up a different sport. Mention Fly fishing and the price goes up. Why so many fly rods that can all catch the same size fish?
    This is a really helpful addition to this thread!

I had an old spool of nylon "Squidding Line" bought from Kresge's (predates Kmart) that I've been using for backing since I started fly fishing 12 years ago. It is just a bit bulkier than fly line backing, but it's never failed me. Now I have used up the last of it. I think the price on the spool was less than $2, so adjusted for inflation, it may not be any less expensive than backing today. As strong as it was, I didn't see using it as any kind of comprimise. As someone pointed out, you rarely need it, but when you need it...you need it, so if you use a substitute, make sure it is just as functional as flyline backing.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    I have to disagree...no one gets get rich by spending more than they need to.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    This is a really helpful addition to this thread!
    Royce - well said.

Tim

Well, I for one have to watch my pennies! Since retirement EVERYTHING keeps going up and what I have coming in no where near keeps up. I remember when you could buy that line backing for .50 cents - then the movie "A River Ran Through" and the fly fishing market exploded. Suddenly the backing was $1.99, then $2.99 and I think the last time I glanced at a backing spool price it was crowding five bucks. Did manage to have some backing passed on to me from a fella that simply quit the sport (health reasons). No way in hell am I going to pay anything near that price for another "strand" - I'll even revert to using a length of monofilament line (in spite of the warnings that the sky is falling and the end of the world is at hand).

Thanks for posting about the mason line as that will be the next thing I use. How come someone as smart as me never comes up with a great idea like that ...?

+ Reply to Thread