+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass Rod?

Buying a new rod is a heck of a lot of fun. Hopefully you will be posting photos of your catch with your new rod. Good fishing to you. I have a couple 8 wt. rods, a FLyLogic and a J.P. Ross, both of which are excellent rods.

Thanks for the advise and direction. I've been looking at the BVKs...look like nice rods and really affordable for what you get.

AGrant,

my opinion, take it for what it's worth since its an opinion and everybody had one, is that the echo3s are one of the best, if not the best, 7 -10 wts under $400 on the market. I like the way the TFO bvk cast, but i had breakage issues with them (not trying to turn this into an argument, just my experience adn most people that I know have said the same). As for the clouser rods, I LOVE those as well. So I would really push to try either the echo3s or the clouser. I own 7's of each adn love them both - like the echo for floating lines and clouser for sinking line or floating line. Echo is 9' and the clouser is 8'9" so depending on what casting stroke you have/want, one may suit you better than the other.

hope this helps some

Although somebody menitoned and 8' A3, sounds interesting....

Yes the Echo3 is very good as is the Sage Response.

I am looking to get my hands on one of the new TFO Mangrove series fly rods, which sound like they might make good bass bugging rods.

If I were going to spend that much on a rod I would get Keven Proctor (Colorado Custom Fly Rods) or Steve (Midwest Custom Fly Rods) to build me something. Kevin's website is http://coloradocustomflyrods.com/ ; Steve's http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I know there is a fascination with faster rods today but I'm old and old fashioned. My favorite rod years ago was a Shakespeare Wonderod with an 8wt. Now I'm using a bamboo rod called the Para 17. This is a true parabolic action taper that handles lighter bugs/streamers or shorter distances in upper 1/3 of rod easily. When you begin to push the rod with longer reach or bigger bugs the action works right thru the midsection which has little taper down into the lower 1/3 of the rod. Maybe it's the years but I find this so much more relaxing to fish than my Scierra 9' 8wt or my 9' 6wt. 'Course being into almost all bamboo these days means the glass and graph is saved for situations where speed in recovery and placement is critical, like a drift boat in fast water.

Nick

so did you end up getting anything? if so what?

no real reason, just curious

AGrant, I don't know if you've made a purchase yet or not. My son in Texas does some bass fishing and wanted to try his hand at fly fishing for them. I got him a St. Croix 6'6 7wt 2 piece. Now it's been a few years and I'd have to ask him if it's the truth but I believe it was a glass rod. I picked it up on ebay with an older Cortland reel for about $40. He has used it and liked it. That's been a few years too. Last time he told me he used it was down around Galviston for red snappers. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a new bass rod. I currently fish with an original Orvis Clearwater 9ft 6wt with a Rio Coldwater Clouser line. I love the rod and love the action for smaller bass flies, but the larger flies are wearing me out. I was thinking of a faster action 7wt - I'll interject here that I've had an 8wt before and it was just pure overkill...I really wore myself out fishing with it.

So, what fast action 7wts are out there that you would recommend...say under $400 bucks? I can't swing the cost of a SAGE One rod or something like that.

Thanks.
    Here in Oklahoma with all the wind, I still prefer throwing a quality 8 wt. I stand a better chance of punching those large wind sensititive bass patterns into a strong south wind with a heavier rod and line. It's not a matter of overkill as much as it is the right tool to get the big patterns to where you want them in the water.

Thanks to all. I've not bought one yet. Not in a big hurry. Still kinda looking around for that good deal to come along.

Thanks
    Alan

+ Reply to Thread