+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angora Rabbit (Lapin)

Mickalo,

You might want to try contacting the Iowa chapter of the American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA). My wife and I raised show rabbits for a number of years when our children were young. There are an amazing number of people who raise rabbits. People quite often specialize in a specific breed or even a color within a breed. They have shows where judges come in and people win best of breed and best in show. There will be hundreds of rabbits of all breeds at any given show. At the larger shows, there are often vendors that sell tanned rabbit pelts that people use for arts/crafts etc. While the breeders love their rabbits, they are still live stock that they have to cull if they want to be a successful breeder. The standards are very specific so for example, a rabbit with one toe nail that is the wrong color would be disqualified, therefore a breeder would remove that rabbit from the herd to prevent that trait from being passed on. Breeders cull for a variety of reasons such as body shape, fur density or even a rabbit that is a poor mother that won’t nurse her babies. The bottom line is that if you’re looking for some Angora rabbit pelts, these people will very probably give you the names and numbers of people who you can contact locally for what you want. Just a thought…

Jim Smith

Thanks for the info Jim appreciate it, I'll check it out. I didn't even know they have those here in IA.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Angry

Hi All,

I did find one Angora rabbit pelt for sale on line, $60. Reading up on them shows that they grow them for the fur which is sold for making into yarn for knitting, and it sells for 10-15 dollars per ounce. They shear them just like they do sheep. Some folks just have a couple, which they shear for the fur that they themselves knit. They aparantly are quite gentle and don't protest shearing.

It looks like it would be great for tailing Peter Frailey's bunny buggers. I would like to find some for that purpose. I like bunny buggers, but finding long fur is a problem, that the Angora rabbit fur looks like it would solve.

I might add that I use rabbit for most of my dry fly dubbing, even for very large stone fly dries. When treated it floats fine. I only use other furs for specific colors, and if I want to tie a traditional pattern.

I don't know if this is correct, but one source stated that the fur is quite warm for sweaters, because it is hollow. I somehow doubt that, but if so, it would even be better for dries than normal rabbit dubbing.

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 01-28-2013 at 02:35 PM.

I wish I could have found a nice pelt, but no luck locating one yet! So going to be ordering some 2gr. packages of the fur in assorted colors to try out. The only draw back no long fibers unless each package containd all the fur, including guard hairs, along with the under fur.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I traded some stuff for a bit of Angora Rabbit fur from a lady that raised them for yarn.

Works well for anything you'd use regular rabbit for, but want longer fibers.

I've often wished I could get Angora Rabbit hides dyed in good bassy colors, and asked the nice lady about getting some full hides. She was horrifiied at the thought of killing the bunnies.....probably burned that supply source simply by mentioning that.

Nice stuff.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

We use a lot of rabbit strips for the leeches we tie in huge quantites here... We buy hides at a local craft store and cut them into strips. For our purposes, and for anyone using strips you want the terrible rabbit skins, not the good ones. Both hide thickness and amount of fur determine how good a strip will be for a fly. Too much leather and the fly weighs a lot more, fast! It also takes forever to soak through, sink, and swim properly. Too much fur also slows down the speed with which it sinks and swims.

Then, once you get a plump fly fishing you realize it takes a LOT more effort to get it out of the water and then huck it back out there.

I am in the middle of tying 5 dozen Dali Lamas and my rabbit strips are horrible! For each fly I am skiving the leather edges and trimming as much leather as I can. To say it makes tying them slow is an understatement!

Rabbit is great dubbing and it is easy to add good synthetics to it for sparkle, UV color, or plumping up. Tying Polly Rosborough's Fuzzy Nymphs with rabbit and adjuncts is easy and the rabbit makes the dubbing rope more durable because it binds with the other materials really well.
    art

+ Reply to Thread