+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It takes a lot of nerve and a whole bunch of stupidity...

The "river walk" was a good one, and I made it back to the sounds of on-going activity in the house. The "cronies" even went so far as to kick me out of my own tying area and the rest of the work sites until most of their plans are finished. Apparently, "Doc" let some cat out of the bag about his concern for my fatigue factor. Under my current marching orders, I'm sequestered to my office, and that room alone. There, I can finish the official tally of "lost stuff," a very nice way of making me sit on my backside while the crew works.

I have a rather disgusting question to ask, but I need the advice/wisdom of somebody or somebodies with more insight than I. Is there any way to remove the smell of human urine from the feathers that were stored in a plastic tub full of hackle? We discovered this unpleasantness yesterday, and I can't find anything on-line about the subject... probably because it doesn't happen too often. At least, I'm praying that it doesn't...

If anybody can shed some light on the matter, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll have to replace some hackle, as six Hoffman necks and a couple of saddles will become fodder for the burn barrel. And, that, my friends, is a crying shame...

Just when I thought I'd seen it all... Jerry, aka hairwing530, aka "Captain Hooks"

NewTyer 1 Guest

Did someone actually urinate on your materials? Thats pretty disgusting. I know when you die feathers you put them in hot or boiling water and then nuetralize it with vinager so, maybe either placing them in hot or boiling water with either dish soap or vinager or do the DS first and finish with the V and then squeeze them so the ecess water comes out and blow dry or air dry. Davie McPhial has a video on how to dye feathers on youtube so, follow his directions but only use dish soap and then the vinager. That should do it I believe because, I have read about using vinager to nuetralize the smell of pet urine. Good luck and make sure to wear latex gloves

While I realize it's not practical to put the hackle in the washing machine, laundry detergent removes the urine smell from clothing, I would think it would for feathers. I might add a light does of chlorine bleach. In case they did not pick up on the defiling of your hackle, save a few for the police for DNA matching.

It's good to hear you have a good bunch of bossy friends who are doing their best to look out for your best interest.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Sure, put a few in the freezer for DNA match if you want. THEN, take all the rest that are so afflicted, and BURN them! Put what ever type they were on your list, and forget about them!!! You don't need the extended aggravation!!!
    I, personally, have more feathers than I'll ever use in 7 lifetimes. I'd be glad to share my necks and saddles.
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 01-25-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I think the washing machine is a good idea. My buddy and I used to clean up wood duck flank feathers by placing them in
    a pillow case and washing them on a very gentle cycle. Very mild detergent of course. Then dry on the lowest possible setting.
    Hope that will work, and if it's a bad idea hope someone will chime in on that.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Jerry,
    send me your address when you get a chance,I misplaced yours. I have some hackle and other items to send out as soon as I get back from Somerset Fly fishing show.
    Keep the faith my friend
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

I have read through this thread several times. As a past victim I can emphasize with your situation. I had a small alarm system but it didn't do much good. I finally installed cameras around my house and inside. I also have a few "dummy" cameras in plain site. It's a deterrent but won;t really keep the people who want in, out. My fishing buddy had an ADT system installed. It has a SIM card installed so it doesn't rely on a phoneline. With hidden camera backups and a hidden DVR you can get some pretty good ID's.

I'm sorry for all your grief Jerry. Just keep the faith. Mean people suck. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Dear sgallas2,

My address is as follows, Steve...

Jerry Warrington
    2007 Townline Rd.
    Grayling, Michigan 49738

The home/office e-mail is the same as my Paypal account: jwarington1@copper.net

For whatever you're planning, Mr. Gallas, I thank you for your kindness. And, if you take a photo or two at the Somerset show, please send me a couple. I've never been, but I hear great things about it.

Safe travels, and to you all, thank you for kicking my drooping spirits in the pants and uplifting them!!

Jerry, aka hairwing530, aka "Captain Hooks"

thanks Jerry. you'll be hearing from me by Monday.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Man Jerry, I should have read this before. What a bummer. Don't worry about getting the hooks out to me until you get your place back in shape, I know you're good for 'em.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

+ Reply to Thread