+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Line Question

Hi All,

With regards, to the line color, the tip and entire line appears to be green, at least as much of it as I can see.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

It is amazing how a thread can run. I appreciate Gandolf taking the time to tell us the color. This post was like a reading a book, and you are right at the end, then your wife donates it thinking you are done with it. I have to buy another one just so I can get closure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    Hi All,

With regards, to the line color, the tip and entire line appears to be green, at least as much of it as I can see.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf
    The SA GPX line comes in "optic green" as well as "willow" and a two tone color. The optic green seems to be the color I see most often. If you has a line scale you could weigh the first 30 feet. GPX lines are a half weight heavy. That would confirm that it is a GPX.

I still think the G is a typo for F...but of course only if the tag was typed. Wouldn't anyone that wanted to indicate GPX just put all three letters?

Hi Ducksterman and all,

I should have responded to your first comment, because the tag is handwritten, and thus not a typo. My fault for not responding earlier. Your thought that it might have been an "F" makes perfect sense, however, since SA uses an "F" for floating line.

For now, I have come to think that the information on the tag is some sort of short hand that the previous owner used, an not a code for a particular fly line that SA has. Since the code does not have a "S" in it, my thinking now is that it is just some sort of weight forward floating line.

Thank you for all of the help and comments.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

This is probably obvious, but can you contact the previous owner and ask?
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I have to think the G stands for Green. Since the line is green the previous owner would know which reel went in which case by matching the line color to the tag on the reel case.

Just a thought.

Hi Royce and Prairieschooner,

I bought the reel quite a while back on Ebay, and am thinking it came from an estate sale. It wasn't until recently that I thought about the tag. I had glanced at it when it first came in, but didn't think about the meaning of the "G", and I sort of remember that the "G" made little sense to me at the time. At any rate, now it would be pretty tough to go back and find out about it. The seller mentioned nothing about the line, except that it had line. I think he would have listed what the line was if he had known.

At any rate, knowing that it is a weight forward line and a 5 wt. is good, because I can't find my reel that had my wt. forward 5 wt. line on it, so this is now going to be the replacement if I can't find the other. I hope the rest of you are better organized than I am, and don't misplace stuff like fly reels.

Thank you to you all for the help. I originally was thinking that the line was a sinking line, but that is clearly not the case. In fact, I now think that if I had just done some good thinking in the first place I would not have had to post the question on the board, but I didn't. The information given by you all answered my main questions, and cleared up my thinking.

As always, the amount of knowledge and good advise that comes from here is amazing.

Again, thanks to you all.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread