+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Furled line jigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    the People I make the leaders for are quite avid as to what is needed, but out of five different users and 5 different states, they all agree on the weight and the taper.
    Can you tell us more about the leaders, the popular weight and taper, for instance? And more? I, for instance, was not aware that you were in the business of selling tenkara lines/leaders.

~Paul, who is one of those guys attracted by complexity as well by simplicity

Something I was asked to try by a Tenkara friend. He told me what he looks for, so a few trial and errors, I came up with one that others liked as well.
    There is a big taper to them. Example a 10 foot leader will 26 to 6 with a taper of 26 - 24 - 22 - 20 and so on to 6. They roll over beautifully. I got the idea from LaFontaines Floss idea. Float the fly on top the water.
    I do use lighter thread as well. Probably equals out to a 6X. Obviously, the advantage is with dries, but nymphs are no problem.

True, but a set of wrenches can do the job better than a single crescent wrench although you can make it work.
    The right tool the more effective and easier the job. Taper matters.
    Granted, some folks prefer the "feel" of one line over another, but about half the folks fish with a single strand of non tapered flouro. As long as one stays within some fairly broad guidelines, they are going to be able to deliver a fly and catch fish.

THe appeal of tenkara for many is the simplicity, and being able to concentrate on fishing, not worrying about the equipment they are (or aren't) using. THere's certainly nothing wrong with tackle tinkering, if that's what folks enjoy. However there are people who shy away from fly fishing because they perceive it to be to complicated, and tenkara can offer those folks a much simplified and fun way to fish. That really was my only point.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

I don't see Tenkara as being full of technical tactics, but I also don't see it as simple as that bamboo pole and a piece of mono like when I was a child, and yes I caught fish then too. Tenkara is about presentation. Sure it can be as simple as you want, but again right tool makes life much more enjoyable.
    I watched even Joan Wulff fishing a Tenkara. The nice roll and light fly presentation...from a tapered line.

Joni -

Correct me if I am wrong - but I do get the impression that you have not personally used a Tenkara rod to fish ??

Your customers certainly like the line / leaders you provide ( and I did like the line / leader you sent me a couple years ago ), but five customers in five states is a very limited sample, especially compared to the market that some other folks on here are serving.

About that taper - 11 distinct stepdowns in the configuration of approximately 1' each in length, and made in two parts to be joined together for the finished product, if I am reading your posts correctly. That is beyond complexity. I mean if your customers like it and you keep them happy, great. But the thought of what you are doing boggles my mind.

John

P.S. How was the demo down at PRO ?? Are you planning to demo at Jimmy's this winter ??
    The fish are always right.

It went well John. No on Jimmy's this year as I did it last year, but shows here in my home town coming up.
    Now leaders. Five was a modest number on my part. I have supplied some well known fishers with leaders but I prefer not to drop names, but I should have said, these are shop owners so not just one leader, they have customers as well.
    You are by far the authority on this but yes I fish a Tenkara, it helps me understand the request more.
    I was hoping you would post. Not sure I understand "compared to the market that some other folks on here are serving."
    I do think a tapered leader/line will be much easier to work with than a piece of level mono or fluoro. Not necessary obviously, but also not complicating.

I'm fascinated. How do I find out details for purchase? ~pfa

So where is PRO? Joni do you normally demo furlingat Jimmys? What thread are you using for your Tenkara lines. I know one of your customers come to find out couple weeks back. Waiting for him to bring it by so I can see your work. I will stick with a furled tapered line overlover level any day. I have cast Chris 3.5 level line and furled much easier.

Tight Lines
    Brandon

I do a furling demo here in Utah at the Fly Tying Expo for the past three years. PRO Is Portneuf River Outfitters in Pocatello. I did a fly tying demo.
    http://www.idahostatejournal.com/mem...O2_3g.facebook

My brother in law lives in Chubbuck. We go up there all the time. Stay in touch and I will bring some up next trip.

...You are by far the authority on this ....
    Now THAT is funny !!

The only thing I am an authority on is my own experience on the few cricks and rivers I fish around here with the flies I use for the nearsighted, colorblind, dumb, and starving trouts I pursue.

What is obvious, however, is that over the past couple years there has been a proliferation of Tenkara rods available in the U.S. market and an ever increasing number of products available to use with them.

What was about as simple as it can get just a few years ago is trending to another pursuit that will eventually become so complicated that it will turn off potential new comers, just like conventional fly angling does.

Having said that, is anyone else going to help out Kytroutbum regarding his inquiry - "... wondering if anyone has a procedure or plans for a Jig to make a tenkara line?"

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread