+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Central Iowa Fly Fishing Reports

Managed to get a little more fishing in this weekend...which isn't normal for me.
    The report is here:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/1...eekend-of.html

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

From the top of the Saylorville Lake Dam, Saturday morning:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I've seen the exit off I 35, near West Des Moines. Another place I need to visit. Thanks.

Bob

I took the day off. My buddy Jay and I went fishing at some central Iowa rivers and pits.
    Jay used spinning gear and caught around 19 fish: White Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Crappie, Walleye and Freshwater Drum.
    I used fly gear and caught around 53 fish: White Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Hybrid Sunfish, Green Sunfish, and Common Carp.

Nice day to be out fishing!
    The full blogged report is here:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2012/1...10-2-2012.html

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The Springbrook Wunder microjig worked well this past Sunday afternnon for Bluegills, a Bass, and a Crappie:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Managed to finally get out flyfishing late Saturday evening, and today during my lunch-hour.
    Saturday I caught some nice Bluegills on a Springbrook Wunder microjig under an indicator:

...and some smaller Largemouth Bass. This one was the SMALLEST:

Today during lunch, it was mostly Bluegills again. There was almost no wind, so I used a #10 unweighted chartreuse Woolly Bugger.
    I also caught 4 small naturally-occurring Hybrid Sunfish. This was one of them:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Sure is getting dark early! I was able to get out last night for 45 minutes...mostly fishing in the dark at that point. I couldn't even see my fly line at the end of my rod. I was using an uweighted chartreuse Woolly Bugger (since it was already on the line from fishing earlier in the day).

I managed to land 11 Crappies and 3 Bluegills before my family decided I had other things to do. ;o)
    Forgot my camera...so took this top-notch...uh...artistic(?) photo with my crappy cell phone.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    February 25, 2012
    My friend Ben wanted to fly-fish some open water on Saturday morning. Lots of choices as far as the local public ponds were concerned.
    Time flies when you are having fun !

John
    The fish are always right.

Yes, and it sure has flown by! Fishing is coming full circle as the year winds down. Open-water season started with crappies and trout, bloomed into at least 16 fish species landed on fly gear (including 5 new ones for my fly-rod list) over the warmer months, and looks like it (open-water season) will be ending with crappies and likely some trout. Hopefully there will be a good month or more of open-water left this season.
    Fishing has been a little slow of late, and I haven't been able to get out nearly as much as I'd like. Sure would like to finish the year as strong as it started.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread