+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does it have to be a nail knot?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Hmmmmm!! If you were to use a furled leader that matches your fishing requirements you would not have to change it for a season or 2!
    Or more, I don't remember how many years I have been using the furled lead John Scott sent me at least 3 I think, I did pick out a knot. They are not knot proof, at least not in the hands of a really skilled wind knot tyer.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I use my forceps in place of the tie fast tool. The method is the same but I don't have an extra "shiny thing" hanging from my vest.

The only thing that concerns me with using the tool (as shown in the video) is the need to lubricate knots prior to final cinch down. I didn't see any wetting of knots int he video. Even when doing knail knots for leader to line, I wet them down. May be unnecessary for big mono but habits are just that! Always lubricate the knots Especialy when using flourocarbon material is some of the best fishing advice I was ever given!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I had trouble tying nail knots not now with welded loops on my fly lines now.

I have always wondered why a nail knot to something you know will have to replace. I have done 7-8 nails. The first couple I did without an issue using a cut pen top, but man...I had to take my time and massage the crap out of the knot to make it look smooth. I then found a better method by using mono to pull the nail knot through...Slick, easy, and works like a champ everytime. Oh, I also cut the perfection loop or whatever the leader comes with off before nailing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPPgAjgte78

Since then, I went to my father-in-laws (FIL) in Colorado. I noticed on my FIL's expensive fly rod set that he had mono nailed with a loop in the mono and the loop on the leader - Smooth. Anyway, my rod wouldn't fit in the car, so he got a cheap 4 pc rod set as a backup to his rig so I could fish out there. When I opened it, it had a loop on the FLY LINE only - Perfection or whatever. The leader had a loop on it. I did the loop method, and I have to admit, it works like a champ. It will facilitate many leader changes without removing base fly line. That is why I really like TAILINGLOOP's suggestion of nail the first leader, and then perfection the end of about a foot left when you go to replace -Perfection loop and go. Makes sense to me.

Thing is I never bring the leader through the eyes on the fly rod anyway. I could tie an achor knot or double surgeon and it would work for me. So, if you know a knot that you love, and it holds...I see NO reason not to use it. Also, people keep bringing up removing the base fly line...Aren't you suppose to replace those every couple years anyway? Are you messing up that many leaders in a year? Also, how much do you remove with the CA method?

For the dudes that CA a loop in the end. Fantastic looking end product, but what do you do when you have an issue on the river/stream? I carry many things in my kit, but I rarely carry a pen vise, needle, CA, and such. It definately looks pretty, but the field use is not there. Again, it looks PRETTY, but I don't pull my leader through the eyes. Don't see a need for pretty.
    Last edited by Herknav90; 09-23-2012 at 09:56 AM.

I would like to add that I use a loop in the leader and create a double sheet bend with the fly line, works fine. Also Len Chandler probably invented the Crazy Glue splice before it was popularized by Whitlock, et al., but he was on salary with Cortland and didn't need to market the idea as his.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav90 View Post
    I then found a better method by using mono to pull the nail knot through...Slick, easy, and works like a champ everytime. Oh, I also cut the perfection loop or whatever the leader comes with off before nailing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPPgAjgte78
    I'm not giving up my knot tying tool, but good to know other methods.

Interestingingly, this is the same method that Whitlock uses to do a whip finish. Wrap the thread over the mono, cut the thread, put it through the mono loop and pool.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Cool

From above:
    "For the dudes that CA a loop in the end. Fantastic looking end product, but what do you do when you have an issue on the river/stream? I carry many things in my kit, but I rarely carry a pen vise, needle, CA, and such. It definately looks pretty, but the field use is not there. Again, it looks PRETTY, but I don't pull my leader through the eyes. Don't see a need for pretty."

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/can...hing-~p~1677u/ there's your tool and here's an entire multi page thread telling why this knot works as opposed to your ,"pretty." and I carry a small tube of zap a gap as it has many uses on the stream.
    http://www.flyforums.co.uk/general-fly-fishing-discussion/43884-knotless-leader-joint-sbs.html

Last edited by Chuck S; 10-06-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: addition
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread