+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HEDDON #20 8 1/2'2F HDH or E

Default HEDDON #20 8 1/2'2F HDH or E

I am thinking about buying a Heddon #2 SBILL STANLEY'S FAVORITE. trying to find out what weight it might be. the person selling it says it has HDH or E written on it. is this a makers mark or the Heddon line weight system?

2F might be a Heddon heavy/ intermediate weight fly rod...

Blog Entries

Here is a conversion chart.

http://coloradocustomflyrods.com/styled-3/styled-4/styled-11/index.htm

That translates to a #6 Double Taper Line from the HDH.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by rwabdu View Post
    2F might be a Heddon heavy/ intermediate weight fly rod...
    No, it's not. Heddon described the 2F as a "standard trout action". The length determined its use. The 9 footer was described as "suitable for wet flies". (And how! I fish wet flies all the time and there is no better rod for that use than a Heddon 9' 2F.) The 8 1/2 footer was described as "dry fly action". The 8 footer was described as "extra stiff". (I've never fished one of those; I assume it was would be a fast dry rod.)

I DT 6 on my 9' Heddon 2F's, and a WF 5 on my 8 1/2 footers. (I own several of each.) They're wonderful rods.
    Last edited by redietz; 09-23-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Bob

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

In their earliest days, Heddon apparently did NOT put any labels or marks on their rods. They only had "Heddon" stamped into the butt cap ( I have two). Sometime later, the began to have their name handwritten in India ink diagonally across them, and began to assign a number to the rod; the number being the Retail price. They later began to name them and add the length and line weight rating, again handwritten to them, dropping the numbering system at that time. They had a single employee, a lady, who wrote "Heddon" around all of the blanks that were so labeled,according to my sources.

The old bamboo rods were designed for both Double Tapered (DT) and Level (L) lines, as Weight Forward (WF) lines were a thing of the future. The old line designation system was an alpha system. (Conversion tables are readily found to convert to modern line weights.) The designation HDH meant that the line was a double taper (the two H's), and the D represented the weight (in this case a 6 wt.). The simple designation "D" meant it is a 6 wt Level line. Thus, you will more often than not see these rods labeled "HDH or E", which simply means that it was designed for a DT6 or a L7 line.
    Last edited by aged_sage; 09-24-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aged_sage View Post
    Thus, you will more often than not see these rods labeled "HDH or E", which simply means that it was designed for a DT6 or a L7 line.
    L5, not L7. E is smaller than D in the old system.
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread