+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: your recommendation for transporting H2O

I use a CamelBak. I found one that is "fannypak" style. I take the bladder out, fill it with water and put it in the freezer the day before. The day of... take it out.. put it back in it's pouch and head to the river. You'll have cold water most of the day. AND... the unit serves as a wading belt and a pseudo-back belt. You can synch it up pretty tight and it will relieve your back strain.

MP

I've been carrying one of these for years.
    Flexable, durable and it collapses as you empty it.

[url=http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=2:7d359]http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=2[/url:7d359]

Peter

I've been carrying one of these for years.
    Flexable, durable and it collapses as you empty it.

[url=http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=2:37fd4]http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=2[/url:37fd4]

Peter

For walking the beach in the summer ( that's 90 degree temps & hunidity ) & fly fishing for snook, I've become accustomed to the Flexi-Flask with a neoprene cover. Fill it up with water about 3/4 of the way & freeze it. Next morning fill it up to about full with water, except leave a little room for expansion when the ice melts. Keeps the water cold for hours & doesn't weigh very much which makes it minimalist. Also good for river & stream bass fishing in the summer where I had learned about them, only thing is I can't find any replacement flasks for the big one that just wore out after 8 years, but did get replacements for the small one that wore out a few years after moving to the sunshine !

The question has been lurking in the back of my mind for years:

What did everybody do BEFORE water bottles, hydration packs, and water bladders?

As I watch in wonderment as 90% of the population walk around everyplace toting water bottles, (and I see the resultant empties strewn about), I wonder why.

Don't get me wrong, I realize the value of hydration but come on, I see people at TRADE shows with hydration packs on. I see folks carrying water bottles to places where they might spend 20 minutes of time yet they have their "canteen" along with them at all times.

Is the reason for the "IV" bottle of water the same as the reason why you have people on a 50 flight unable to travel without a snack, FOR A 50 MINUTE FLIGHT? It never ceases to amaze me.

All I know is I've been fishing for like 200 years and I've had fishing sessions from 1 hour to 17 and I never take water along. Sure I've had times I've gotten thirsty but only three times can I recollect ever having to go to the car because I was so thirsty I couldn't stand it.

Is all this water toting a new phenomenon or did you old timers carry a metal canteen 20 years ago? I just don't ever seem to recall anybody I fished with, worrying about water years ago.

I save the 20 ounce plastic bottles, that soda pop are sold in. I throughly rinse them out, and fill with tap water from my house kitchen faucet. The plastic bottles are reusable, and the caps keep the bottle sealed, so the water will not leak in transport. For long trips, or when the weather really warms up, I place some of the bottles in the freezer overnight, this keeps the other bottles of water at a comfortable drinking temperture, during the day.

I place all the bottles inside a cardboard box for transportation in the vehicle, and can, easily get replacement water bottles as needed.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 06 May 2006).]

Gentlemen, purely FAR too much bother. I simply order Jeeves to climb back to the car for another chilled mixed blend aqua in a frosty mug.

Steven:

I read someplace, I forgot where; that the freezing of water in the plastic bottles that either soda or spring water comes in causes some of the chemicals used in making the bottle to leach out.

I don't know if it's true but it's worth looking into if you freeze water in a plastic bottle for later drinking.

9. Default

I tried the Aquamira filters past summer in Idaho.
    Read my story about it in my blog at:
    [url=http://bassbug.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_bassbug_archive.html:ba447]http://bassbug.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_bassbug_archive.html[/url:ba447]

Bamboozle,

I've come across that negative aspect of freeing in plastic bottles. Anyone know if this is a valid and serious concern.

------------------
    "...whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

+ Reply to Thread