+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Danvise replacement jaws

Default Danvise replacement jaws

Hey guys, I am in search of a set of saltwater/big fly replacement jaws for my Danvise. I tried putting some 5/0 or so size jig hooks in the standard jaws, and they just don't hold. I have done some looking, and can't seem to find anyone that sells them..... anyone have a solution for me? Thanks!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Try Al Beatty - BT's tying products.

Pretty sure they doesn't exist. I'd try either a Dyna-King Trekker/Barracuda or maybe a Dyna-King Professional/Supremem or HMH if you don't need true rotary.

Whatfly, I have seen them mentioned several places, but haven't found anyone selling them. I recently bought a Peak, and was wanting to keep that vise as my fly and small jig vise and turn my Danvise into my bucktail and travel vise without spending too much money. I may end up getting the saltwater jaws for the Peak and just learn how fast and easy I can swap them out.... but trying the "easy" route first.

Or..... does anyone know a super cheap vise that will hold big hooks decently? Say, 30 bucks or less. For this, I won't need fancy, just steady.

No mention of it on http://www.btsflyfishing.com/, but if it does exist, Al is the man to talk to. He hasn't posted in quite some time, but he's still a sponsor. A quick but by no means exhaustive search turns up discussions of the extension, but I could find no mention of salt water jaws.

Going to be hard to find a cheap vise to fit your criteria, unless you want to jury rig one. In the old days, modified vise grips were often used by saltwater tiers.

Luck.

Even if you could find larger jaws for the Dan Vise, I doubt that the clamping mechanism would have the power to hold the large hooks securely. I used a Dan Vise, and had problems holding larger streamer hooks. It isn't by any means cheap, but a Regal Vise will hold anything, and I think they make saltwater jaws on special order. There is a cheap knockoff of the Regal called the Crown Vise. Clamping mechanism looks the same, but know idea of durability.

Hey KID, Why not buy an extra set of standard jaws for your danvise and grind the tips off your old jaws and retemper them. Then you would have a set of jaws for heavy hooks, the danvise cam mechanism is plenty strong enough for heavy hooks and on many boards you will see complaints of the jaw tips flaring or cracking usually due to improper jaw adjustment. If you will google Danvise jaws you can find a description of the process. You can buy extra jaws from Al Beaty, but you had better hurry as he is closing his business and retiring.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Blog Entries

There is a brand new Thompson A vise for sale by John Rhodes for 35. It would work perfectly. It is in the for sale forum.

Zac, for $20 you can't beat it. I tied on one for a number of year with no complains. It's not real fancy but you can use it as a rotary, I'll tellyou how to make a bobbin holder for it.
    http://www.basspro.com/Supreme-Rotat...SELL_THUMBNAIL
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks guys. I have a few rabbit trails to chase now...

+ Reply to Thread