+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Competive fly fishing

Personally, I'm not into it either. It somehow seems to "lessen" the sport, at least to me. Usually my fishing partner and I don't even count how many fish we catch (other than the first one). To each their own, but I see far too much competition in other aspects of my life. It's nice to have at least one small area of it occupied by something I do simply for the enjoyment of doing it.
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I am torn...while I don't care a fig about competitive fishing for bass, I don't like it on streams for trout, including the One Fly, or the different international competitions. Don't know why the dichotomy..seems kinda two-faced, but there it is...

That being said, how many of you have participated in a trout deby? How about a big fish pool on a deep sea boat? re tehy different?
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I personally have a dislike for competitive fishing. In reality though, we are halfway there. Troutbums and guides with numerous stickers on their cars and boats, sponsors maybe? Covered in every name brand product from head to toe. Fishing for money one way or another. Fly fishing shows stuck between B.A.S.S. tournament broadcasts. We are even putting speckled rubber legs on our tube jigs, oops, I mean flies. I suggest that we take a minute and watch some youtube videos on Loch style fishing competitions. Not the flashy "Hog Catchin" we all imagine when we here competition fly fishing. I am not saying it's a good thing, but our quiet sport has always had its competitive side.

I don't like it either and I find myself at peace with the world just being on the water. That said, I'm at a greater, smugger peace when I catch the first, biggest and most.

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    Competitive Fly Fishing is a product of the current X-Game generation for sure.

aa

Jackson one fly tournament started in 1986. Most of the X-Generation were still in elementary school.

Honestly, as others have said, competition on the water has been ongoing forever. Casting competition invariably lead to competitions on the water. My main issue with bass tourneys is the # of dead fish that result from those tourneys.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by loufly View Post
    I personally have a dislike for competitive fishing. In reality though, we are halfway there. Troutbums and guides with numerous stickers on their cars and boats, sponsors maybe? Covered in every name brand product from head to toe. Fishing for money one way or another. Fly fishing shows stuck between B.A.S.S. tournament broadcasts. We are even putting speckled rubber legs on our tube jigs, oops, I mean flies. I suggest that we take a minute and watch some youtube videos on Loch style fishing competitions. Not the flashy "Hog Catchin" we all imagine when we here competition fly fishing. I am not saying it's a good thing, but our quiet sport has always had its competitive side.
    You bring up a good point...what is guided fishing, if not fishing competition?? Anyone who has fished a popular floating stream can see people getting all worked up over the competitor's low holing, fishing through, bogarting the hole, etc. and guides gotta get sports on fish or the competition will.

Food for thought when I finish my ride on the high horse.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I personally have ZERO interest in competing within the sport. It's just not an aspect of fishing that I find appealing.

However, I understand it for what it is. It's driven by sponsors, who use it to drive visibility to the sport and their brands. It helps keep the marketplace "active". With "champions" come "endorsemeents".....with endorsements come clothing lines, rod lines, new patterns....etc. If you own a shop and one of your guides or employees places or wins?....well I reckon you would then come to LOVE fly fishing competition.

Quote Originally Posted by branhap View Post
    My main issue with bass tourneys is the # of dead fish that result from those tourneys.
    I believe if you check you will find B.A.S.S. was in the forefront in promoting catch and release and has promoted and encouraged the development of products to reduce fish dying as a result of tournments. However, there are thousands of tournments with no associations.

As for competitive fishing, I always thought it was me against the fish. I won yesterday 5-2. Five fish caught; 2 flies left in the tree.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks for your opinions. I think it is an abomination! Susposedly the fish are not harmed but when money is involved, I think handling of the fish will suffer. I agree with Lotech that fishing should be between the fisherman and the fish. I cringe to think about tournaments on some of my favorite streams. Unfortunatly I believe this will become a real problem in the future

Personally?.....I bet it doesn't impact our favorite haunts much at all. I bet these things end up slated for huge tracts of privately managed waters that 99% of us never even hope to set foot along as it is. The money will go where the money already resides....those huge private ranches that close their doors to you?....will open their arms willingly to big money sponsors and TV dollars.

+ Reply to Thread