+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air travel and rod tubes...

TSA is different from airport to airport and I've had or seen challenges in many locations. Aluminum isalways a no-no. If it won't fit in the overhead don't expect to bring it. I've since changed to rods that all fit in a suitcase and pack them.
    States where they are more relaxed about rods are mountain states and deep south. Upper east coast (especially DC and Baltimore) are the strictest.
    By the way, if you have to check your rod case, it counts as an extra rod. That $50 will go a long way to buying a 4, 5 or 7 piece rod.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    TSA is different from airport to airport and I've had or seen challenges in many locations.

It can actually vary from aisle to aisle. I inadvertently had a box of flies in my carry-on and got through no problem; my neighbor was in the next lane over, also had a box of flies (nothing bigger than a #16, mind you) and you'd have thought they found a brick of C4.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    States where they are more relaxed about rods are mountain states and deep south. Upper east coast (especially DC and Baltimore) are the strictest.
    Usually true but I got the 3rd degree in Bozeman last summer when I put my 4 pc rods through the x-ray machine; also got a lecture because I didn't have my travel-size bottle of mouthwash and toothpaste in a Quart sized plastic bag. I'll chalk that up to the inspector being a new trainee.

Regards,
    Scott

I have seen 2 piece rods on planes, but haven't tried to fly with one yet. Depending on where you fly out from it could be an issue as others have said. Also regional airports sometimes have smaller planes, so you might end up gate checking the rod. Which isn't terrible.

Our local airport is notoriously strict and fly rods go in and out on a regular basis. Last time I flew out there, I got lectured for being late, because I timed it so that I arrived at the airport as they started allowing people through the security checkpoint. (no bag to check). sigh

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

I carry on a 4" pvc case 41" long that holds five 3-piece rods. Have written on the case "Regulation 45" this case 41" ", and only had one run-in with one hostess, and I won. Have carried the case (on board) out of the country many times without a problem. Bahamas always want to check to be sure there's not a spear gun inside.
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

Your safest and most certain option is to FedEx it to your destination. Carry-on is a roll of the dice. If the dice roll wrong, every CO fly shop I know will be happy to sell you a new rig.

Have carried two piece rods onto planes, post 9/11, but not for a few years. CA to ID, no problems. The plane had every other overhead with a pass-through in the middle, making the overhead long enough.

Mike
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    Your safest and most certain option is to FedEx it to your destination. Carry-on is a roll of the dice. If the dice roll wrong, every CO fly shop I know will be happy to sell you a new rig.
    I agree with Brad. Ship it and then you have no worries.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

The airlines website should give you enough information to determine what you can carry on. If it will fit in an overhead, I think it will be fine regardless of the material the case is made of. If you want to take a chance on a two piece carry on, I would also have a $50 bill in my pocket.

I've flown at least 100 times since 9/11 carrying on fly rods, reels and fly boxes with out a problem. Most of the time with pack rods in my roll-aboard bag but at least a dozen times with 2pc 9' rods and about 30 times with 3 pc 9'6" rods and have NEVER had a problem with security or the flight attendants. I will say that I have only flown with the cordura covered PVC tubes - never aluminum tubes, but other than envy, I have received no comments from TSA regarding the rods.

I always carry my flies and my rods (in Cordura wrapped tubes) on. The other guys I fish with tape all their tubes together and check it as one piece of luggage.

I believe if you check the TSA web site they will even tell you to carry on your flies and delicate tackle. I generally carry half of my flies and pack the other half in my luggage. I have not had any problems. If you live close enough to an airport, just go in with the stuff and ask the TSA folks. The last time i had a question was with the CO2 cartridges for a floatation device -- could I send them in checked baggage?? The web site wasn't clear.
    The agents didn't know for sure and admitted the regs. change all the time. They looked it up for me and gave me the OK.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 06-30-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: clarification

+ Reply to Thread