+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much of a tip?

NewTyer 1 Guest

Right it is gravy, but are there lumps in the gravy or is it nice and smooth. I know that he has his fee but, any good guide is worth his weight in salt. Being a guide for a particular stretch of water, he should know the hatches and provide a box of flies specific to that water. If he provides flies and goes out of his way to make sure the fisherman is comfortable and put on to the fish, provides lunch and fluids throughout the day, I would say he deserves to get a fair tip. It is no different that getting a good server in a restaraunt, were they cordious, mindful with the drinks and just all around great waiter, you would give him a larger tip. He made your day, now you should return the favor. Just my opinion. I would also get his card and turn my friend on to him also.

I usally tip a guide around 20 percent (usually more). As others have said the productivity of the day isn't something I tip on (well beyond his/her control). I do however tip on how well they did in putting me on what fish I did catch and just generally how well they did in ensuring I enjoyed the day. While guides do receive a percentage of the guide fee, if they are working through a shop, they do not recieve the full fee. So if a full day trip costs $250 the guide probably sees less than half of that amount. In addition he/she likely provided flies, water, lunch, etc. out of that fee. As many people tip on the quality of the food/drink the guide may have spent as much as $20 of the guide fee just on "extras". That really isn't much for a days work. As a result I do feel that a generous tip is warranted if the guide did a good job with those elements of the trip that are within his/her control. I personally use the same guide on my yearly trip to Colorado and as a result feel that tipping him a bit more is in line as every trip I've ever had with him has exceeded my expectations and he is always willing to fish as long as I'm willing to regardless of how long the trip was "scheduled" for.

Just my .02

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

A question to further muddy the water. Do you tip the same if the guide is self employed or a partner in a service as you do if he works for a guide service?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

NewTyer 1 Guest

I would tip him more if he was working through a guide service

Regarding the "extras" such as lunch, flies, leaders, drinks, terminal tackle, fuel, etc. - every guide and outfitter I know factors the average cost of these items into their fee. If not then the explicitly charge extra and this is stated up front.

I don't usually tip any different for guides booked independently versus those booked through an outfitter or shop. That business relationship is not my concern. Guides may have different relationships with the sources of their bookings. One lodge that I used to frequent had different deals for most of their guides depending on whether the guide was receiving lodging and meals, just meals, or no meals and lodging. I have known several guides who charge less for direct bookings that shops or outfitters who book for them do. Unless I have some reason to believe the guide is getting stiffed by the outfitterI don't tip extra.

Tip what you feel the trip deserves. Remember, tips are above what the guide thought was a fair price for the trip. If He/she figured the trip price assuming tips...they better earn the tip. AND THAT SHOULD HAVE LITTLE TO DO WITH WHETHER THE SPORT CATCHES HUGE NUMBERS OF FISH!!

And $58 is a Federal Minimum wage for an 8 hour day (which the guide may exceed, including setup, takedown, driving)

Yes, this is below poverty line...but that's another, more political, debate...and probably also moot.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

My wife booked a half-day wading trip for me a few years ago in NC. We were strapped for cash most of the time. The guide taught me alot that got me over the hump in my learning process. I'd easily have tipped him more than I could afford if I had had it.

Guides charge a few for their service to make a living. Tips are required, they are a way of saying thank you for providing excellent service. Pay them what you think they deserve and maybe throw in a six-pack. Let them know you appreciated them or not.

Full day fly fishing guide trip in Mountain Home Ar. is $400. This include lunch, flies, leaders, tippit. The better guides set out lunch with a table, table cloth and a great lunch. Most guides book through a fly shop and pay the shop $35 a trip.
    Check the Gulf cost trips, $500. + gas or more. I don't know of any guide that would only charge $250. Maybe Texas is an exception for lake guides, but not salt water guides.
    If someone knows of a salt water guide that only charges $250 for a day, let me know, I will be there in a flash.

I generally tip $100. A guide who partipates on another board told me that a Franklin makes him happy.

I do tell guides ahead of time that I undertand they can't guarantee me fish. But I tell them I want to learn something. Biggest tip I ever gave was to a guide who taught me a different way of tying a blood knot.
    Last edited by Steven; 06-11-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    ...Biggest tip I ever gave was to a guide who taught me a different way of tying a blood knot.
    What's a blood knot ??

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread