+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather report - SNOW!

My wife and I drove out to Dailey Lake the day before yesterday, between the on again, off again rain storms that have been going down the valley for a couple days, when the weather was a balmy 50 degrees, or so, and I saw a couple bluebirds on fences that line both sides of the road there, about halfway back to the lake. I mentioned to my wife that one of these birds was holding a worm in it's mouth, presumably to take to the young ones that were in one of the boxes nearby.

This morning, when I got up at 5:00am to get dressed for my daily 3 mile walk up the hill across the road from our place with my neighbor, the ground was covered with a couple inches of the white stuff, there was no wind and it was beautiful outside. My thermometer read 32 degrees. The snow made it easy to spot the mule deer as we walked along, and we saw several groups of them, probably 15 or so in all. It was nice to be alive and out of doors. I hope the baby blue birds feel the same in a couple days when the temperatures are forecast to rise into the 70's. (The moisture from all the snow and rain this week will surely bring out the worms!)

The good news of all this is that the snow is needed this year, and the Upper Yellowstone watershed snow water equivalent increased from 69% to 77% of average from yesterday to today. And, it is snowing outside to beat the band right now, so tomorrow's snowpack should be even higher. The Yellowstone River is flowing a bit under 10,000 cfs at Livingston now, pretty close to the average flow for this time of year, and the water clarity actually looks pretty good. (If it weren't for the snow, I think a person could stick a few browns on streamers up close to the bank.)

Ahhhhh, ya gotta love spring time in Montana.

If the mated couples lose their chicks, will they try again, or give it up? Can't help but think that they have evolved a mechanism for taking these conditions into account. At least I hope so. They're my favorite bird.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Got a bit of snow on Lolo Pass this morning, and lots more down on the southern end of the Bitterroot Valley at Lost Trail Pass, not to mention the higher elevations. Thought I would have some yesterday headed over to the Lochsa, but no such luck. And the rain held off until I was headed back to Montana - four hours plus of nice weather and tough, but fun fishing.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    I also feel sorry for those who are fishing today, either on the spring creeks or whereever they have been able to find fishable waters. Cold, snow and wind. Yuck.
    I will never feel sorry for anyone who is fishing.

+ Reply to Thread