+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orvis Fly Fishing School

I would highly recommend the class.

The lead instructor has put together a spey casting school for my lodge in Quebec and they (ORVIS) now do their spey schools at my lodge each June. The attentiveness that the instructors give the students is impressive and we hear very positive feedback from the people who attend our spey schools who also had attended the ORVIS schools in Vermont.

In the case of the schools at my lodge, the participants enjoy it so much that the "refresher" schools fill up immediately from past participants in the beginner schools.

Bill Greiner

I think a lot depends on how much experience you have and how much you expect from the class.

I went to the one in Virginia and am glad I did. I had read a good bit about casting and the equipment, but didn't have but a few outings with the rod.

A good bit of the first day was just explaining equipment basics which I mostly already knew, I did get a few new tips, and it was great to be able to ask questions. I thought the casting instruction was good, but very limited. We had about 10 in the class, 1 real instructor, and 2 helpers (good fisherman, but not confident teachers).

I think it helped me get over the threshold from reading and feeling like I didn't know enough, to feeling like I could go on stream on my own and have some success.

Would have liked it more if I had stayed a couple more days and had my honey along, and maybe lined up some individual instruction.

Nice stream they have, private section that they improve and manage. Resort is real nice, but definately expensive and up-turned noses. They don't want anything less than khakis anywhere anytime, jacket and tie for all dinners. FF class was down to earth.

------------------
    Keepeth they back cast out of the freakin' flora.

[This message has been edited by DavidInMD (edited 26 April 2006).]

David, hope you can make it toany of our Fish-in's, we could use your experience to help others learn. A lot of casting happns at them as guys try out each others fly rods. Many learn quite a bit about casting there.

Except for the rankest beginner, I shouldn't be teaching anybody to cast!

The biggest compliment I ever got was a Rocky Mountain guide who said, "Yeah, you can fish some."

Anyway, I'll be in Montana during the Grayling fiesta - my once a year trip out West.

Thank you all so much for your input. With the help of all your responses, I've decided to attend the seminar (I'll camp while I'm in Vermont to cut down expenses), and arrange for time with a guide when I get back home to help solidify all that I've learned. You've all been very helpful. Thanks again.
    Spek

Spek, Would you be willing to write up a report of your time at the school and how you got along with the guide with your new skills? I'm sure others will want to hear so they can make a choice perhaps.

JC -
    I could do that! I won't be attending the seminar until the latter part of July (my vacation) but I could certainly do a write up on it.

+ Reply to Thread