+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North Carolina Fly Fishing

So Thomas are you saying not to waste my time??

Thomas said something that would excite me more than trout, smallmouth. You also have a pretty nice lake there if you can come up with some kind of a boat or canoe. Assuming you are not a total pagan, go to services at the Baptist or Methodist church, there will be a local there who fishes. There could be other blessing as well.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

There for a minute I thought Thomas as talking about Tennessee!! For sure the state fish and game agencys are understaffed and the Laws can be somewhat vague. I heard a shout one day on the Elk "Hey I've got my 7 so I can Catch & Release!". Not!!
    Anyway it seams that the fish over in Cherokee seem to like yellow in the fly's they eat! Yellow sally's, sulphers, etc.

Just a note on NC trout/fly fishing.. On April 11th-12th on our way to Charlotte from SW Pennsylvania we stopped over at a B&B near Sparta, NC which is just below the Virginia/North Carolina border and in the Blue Ridge Mountains.. Pre trip I Googled the area for trout fishing and came up with Stone Mountain State Park and what appeared to be some decent fly fishing streams within the park (C&R only prior to June).. WOW... Had my pick of any number of pools and riffles with very few other anglers... Obviously all stockies but they were there in good numbers... Water somewhat low and crystal clear but did well below the surface on ANYTHING black and mid sized.. Could only fish for two hours but would have loved to check out the other streams designated as "wild" and requiring a hike upstream... I will defenitely go back again and next time for more than a few hours..

Stone Mountain is about 1/2 hr off I-77 at Elkin, NC heading NW on SR 21 toward Roaring Gap and Sparta... It was about 2 hrs plus to Charlotte from Stone Mountain...

FAS

Thanks guys for all the help. It looks like I'll be around there off and on for over the next couple of years. Do the streams around the smokies get too warm to fish in the heat of the summer.

Not to rain on your parade again,but the streams in delayed harvest do get a little warm,but after a couple of weeks after the delay harvest has ended,the streams will be basically void of trout through catch and keep practices anyways.Another problem in the heat of summer in larger streams is swimmers and tubers,god in some of them you'd think you're in a waterpark with slides and lazy rivers!Hence the reason i have started staying on lakes,ponds catching sunfish no a days,more room and plenty of panfish that rarely see a fly.

+ Reply to Thread