+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bleach Solution does not work

Default Bleach Solution does not work

A number of people have asked me whether or not a solution of Clorox and water is good to kill New Zealand Mudsnails. It is a recommendation found in a number of places. However, in the California Department of Fish and Game testing published last year it failed to kill all the snails and it attacked glued seams and distroyed some wader materials. Solutions of bleach do kill many other invasive species of plants and animals.

As a reminder: Solutions of Copper Sulfate,or Sparquat 256, or Formula 409 that has the DISINFECTANT / ANTIBACTERIAL in it have tested to be effective.
    see [url=http://www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm:7a606]www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm[/url:7a606] for more details and a link to the CA DFG test report.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

also please beware of what solutions one might concoct with the bleach to 'make it work'.

A simple 'bleach + acid' mix (say, hydrogen peroxide) gives an off gas of chlorine. Deadly to all.

Just 2 simple household ingredients that, when mixed, do more harm than good.

Boys, will be boys, and it's fun to play - but try to look before you leap in these instances.

Scruffy - I am not an expert. But I do know that "quaternary disinfectant" that can be had at any janitor supply house will probably be a good bet for you. It is same stuff used to wash down dairies, clean up after floods, etc. Always wash from the bottom up. Will be less streaking that way. Good luck, Jonezee

Hey all,
    I once posted the bleach solution solution as a solution to the infestation problem and NOW in light of the facts presented, to all with leaky waders and mudsnail infested boots, I'M SORRY and NEVER MIND.

Mark
    PS: And to Fr. O'Laughlin SJ., what learnt me English, I'm sorry for the run-on sentence.

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

+ Reply to Thread