+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jealousy

Default Jealousy

Well, I've been accused as being a jealous man.

This starts because the state of PA is thinking about making a certain stream that is already delayed harvest/atificial only,into having baitfishermen use the stream and catch/keep some trout. Anyone familiar with PA rules understand what this entails. For those who don't: you are allowed to fish these areas all year long but you can keep 3 trout between June 15 to sept 1. You must use flies or artificails--spinners,etc to fish these streams.
    Anyway, it is figured out that 98% of the open waters in PA is open to all. Only 2% of the waters in the entire state is either fly fishing only or DHAO. That's it.
    I've made the statement that if you want to fish these areas,pick up a fly rod..Well one guy that uses a spinner says he wants to fish the FFO area and don't think it's right that he can't---hey use a fly rod. Besides I say, to me, fishing is about being outside,not catching.
    Wll, he didn't like that comment and says that my statement was "hollow" and that I must be jealous. Now this guy comments that he catches several thousand fish a year. Thats fine with me.
    Why call me jealous????

Am I wrong? Is there jealousy in my statment?
    Randy

2% verses 98%,no I don't think you are wrong.If there was only 0.001% fly only water there will always be someone who will complain they can't fish it.Hey they bought a license too.

If a guy can catch several thousand fish a year, why does he degrudge you a stream that he's not allowed to use a spinning rod on? He might think you are seek undue privilege but there is no jealousy involved on your part, maybe he is jealous that he has never learned to use a flyrod or tye a fly. Or maybe his command of the English language is lacking and he uses words he is not sure what they mean.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

A word I deplore that some use for large trout is "hog".

I'm thinking it's more than appropriate for your spinner buddy though!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Randy I can't tell you how many times I have heard guys that don't fly fishing say this exact same thing. What always blows my mind is the fact that they don't see that it is simply a law/rule of the sport in certain areas and like they do with other aspect of the outdoors they simply need to follow the rule/law and they can still enjoy the sport. Case in point...look at hunting. Not sure how the hunting laws in PA are, but here in Mi you have "rifle zones" and shotgun/handgun zones...but do these guys that complain about FFO zones ever complain about the firearm zones in hunting and say "Well it's not fair I want to use my .308 in this zone why can't I??".. Nope, they view that as the law and they have to follow the law. I don't get why they don't understand that it's the same thing for a small section of certain fishing waters. No one is telling them they can't fish that area, just that if they do then they have to fish it a certain way.

I don't think it should be called jealousy.. and I don't know what stream you're referring to. IMO there absolutely NEEDS to be more FFO/C&R water in this state. The "open" trout waters are pretty much not enjoyable at least early in the season- which is now. Yes I still do a bit of fishing, and the First Day is a tradtion, it's amusing to watch idiots hooking each other with power bait and falling in the water, and we catch a few fish too. At least here in the midstate, almost every non-special-regulations waters are put and take only, 90% of the fish are gone a few hours after the stock truck leaves, most of the trout wouldn't survive the summer anyhow, and there are just SO MANY PEOPLE that the FFO/DHALO/C&R waters are the only refuge for someone who wants to fish for trout. Double-edged sword too, like Allenberry on the YB which is a crowded PIA from now through late autumn.

On the open sections of the YB, less than two weeks into the season, every easily accessible place between Carlisle and New Cumberland is trashed. I'm not exaggerating because I was looking at it yesterday. Worm containers, cups, food wrappers, hook packets, trash of every sort all over the place. And it's far from the only stream which is like that. I caught a couple fish on streamers yesterday afternoon, and honest to God I was thinking "I really don't enjoy this" because of all the A-holes chucking #5Mepps with a half-ounce sinker, or a wad of powerbait the size of a golf ball, walking all through the stream where they should be fishing, and listening to them bitch that the state doesn't put in enough fish and licenses are too expensive blah blah blah. Meanwhile, everywhere I waded I kept getting my feet tangled in yards of broken off monofilament. It's a damn shame because it is truly a beautiful stream. It is significantly worse here in this area, as compared to where I came from up in the Northwest part of Pa (except for Erie of course), just because the population density is so high here.

So I guess the guy who complains about DHALO/FFO water wants it all to be that way.

Blog Entries

If I could only catch a few thousand trout and salmon per year I would probably be very upset with myself... And winter fishing is not something I do much of anymore, so I run it all into a few short months...

Blog Entries

Oh, my point is that jealousy is always relative to something or someone else... and there is ALWAYS better somewhere else.

I think Uncle Jesse hit it. They guy is probably jealous that he's never learned to fly fish. If he catches all of those fish every year, I'm sure he's seen plenty of people using a fly rod.
    I'm sure to an "outsider" or someone that's never picked up a fly rod, it sure looks like fun.....or at least interesting.

Devil's Advocate?

Local river used to be open to all. Closest trout to me and my kids. Now its single barbless, catch and release all year isnstead of the winter. No fishing for my kids who are too small to wade it.

We FF'ers can, at times, be elitist snobs...and FF'ers were the ones who pushed for closure...that 2% can be 100% if it's your home waters
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread