+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: rite bobbin - a review

Quote Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post
    I can't tolerate not having metal on both sides of the thread spool. You and Richard can keep those goofy contraptions, and I'll stick to my ceramic-lined Griffins.
    You got that right!

Allan

Different tools for different jobs anyone?

I can't think of one bobbin that will do everything I want to do, so I own several different styles of bobbins.

The Rite bobbins are fantastic tools for their applications. I use mine (I only have 3) for spinning deer hair and other techniques where applying heavy thread pressure is required. I've not found a wishbone type bobbin that will do this even close to as well.

I have several different brands of the common metal framed wishbone bobbins in several sizes and with and without ceramic tubes.

I have some odd contraptions that I've acquired over time that all have a use of some sort.

I'd never consider having only one 'type'. Primarily because I can't think of why that would be an advantage to anyone?

I'm still trying new ones when I run across them. Primarily because I can't think of a good reason not to?

I'm certainly not a minimalist when it comes to tying tools.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have several of the ceramic Rite Bobbins when Merco in Sunnyvale, CA still owned and manufactured them. They are an excellent bobbins and to control the wobble when spinning just place the thread tubes between your index finger and thumb. Since switching to the Automatic bobbin from Nor Vise years ago I seldom use the Rite Bobbin any more except for use with my travel vise while on fishing vacations.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thanks for starting this thread.... I have been wanting to try one of the adjustable tension bobins for a while.

Blog Entries

Here is my Jbobbin from Jay Smit in South Africa.
    His web site is jvice.com
    I really like this bobbin and now use it exclusively.

From looking at the picture I would think that a lot of friction is created where the thread enters the tube.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

No, you would have to tie with it. Hardly any friction if any? Thread touches nothing until it enters the tube. I suppose a tiny amount where it enters the tube. Certainly not more noticeable than other bobbins
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-02-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Byron,

I just went to that site to look at the tools. Very nice looking vise and the bobbin identified is not the one in the photo you offered. The site identifies his favorite gadget as being an Ekich Automatic Bobbin($90US). The bobbin photo'd on that site looks nothing like yours. Are you sure that's where the bobbin is from?

Allan

Blog Entries

Alan
    Return to site. Check "new". Report back immediately. Over and out
    That is the jvice.com site
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-02-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Been using the Petitjean bobbin for about 6 months now. I have dozens of other bobbins, but they all sit empty now.

http://youtu.be/g_zs67JjZsE

Adjustable thread tension (while wrapping!), fast threading, built in dubbing loop feature, perfectly balanced when spinning - this bobbin does it all!

It's so quick to thread, you only need one bobbin - good thing - they're like fifty bucks.

+ Reply to Thread