+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean Up after Salt

Default Clean Up after Salt

Tried my hand at saltwater FF yesterday. Now I understand the "Chuck and Duck" casting technique. Failed to pin any gills but what a great time I had on the beach. Was curious as to how you saltFFers clean your rod/reel after an outing.
    Thanks.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Very good washing down w/ freshwater and some Salt X. Both rod and reel.
    If it's not a "saltwater" reel, then a going over and some oil afterwards also.

S/W flyfishing is FUN!!

I agree with Fisher Time,

I haven't cleaned fly rods but my other rods and reels exposed to salt water are always cleaned with Salt-X and fresh water. Clean thoroughly.

Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

Also a good idea to remove your line at the end of the season or at least once a year and wash and clean it down too. You can then use a tooth brush to clean the inside of the spool. I actually use tooth paste to clean the spool. Rinse well with warm water.

Hi everyone,
    Actually, my gear maintenance starts before I even go out. I routinely use one of those silicon impregnated cloths sold in the gun stores, walmart etc to wipe down all rods, reels, cameras etc before exposing them to saltwater and the afterwards a thorough cleaning in freshwater with a small amount of dishsoap to rinse off the salt. Dry with a soft clean cloth and then use the silicon cloth again. I am not familiar with the Salt X product the previous posters mentioned but would like to know more about it and where it is available.
    I have seen the crews aboard the off shore charters literally douse the ocean reels with WD40 but that was spinning gear and it did not seem to affect the mono lines on the reels. I have wondered often just what effects the WD 40 would have on fly reels if the lines were removed first. Drag slipping??

I rinse the rod under the kitchen sink faucet and let it dry overnight before putting it back in the case. I take the spool off the reel and rinse the spool and the rest of the reel separately under the faucet. Then let them dry overnight and put a drop of oil on the spindle when I put it back together the next day.

I soak my reel, spools, tools, used flys, etc in fresh water over night in my stripping basket.
    After X amount of hours they get blasted with the hose.
    Then dried in the sun.

Back in the day when I used a medalist reel it would get oiled and lubed after every outting

I use 3in1 oil on my spool and frame, a light coating of axle grease on the spindle
    Works for me.

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Just wash everything in warm,soapy water and rinse well,flies included.Make sure things are dry before putting them away.I fish the salt 2-4 days a week and this works well for me.

Hi Gerri,

The WD-40 is something most of the people I know use, including myself. The only thing to remember is it displaces water and breaks down grease. If you should get any inside the gear housing, re-lube. I have never found it to hurt mono in any way. Someone else will have to answer about the fly line.

Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

gerri...........
    See: [url=http://www.biocleanequipment.com/saltx.htm:dc84c]http://www.biocleanequipment.com/saltx.htm[/url:dc84c]
    It will give you a general description of Salt-X. It also comes premixed. Great stuff. You can Google it for best prices.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread