+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiskars Scissors

These maybe seconds that sell for about $1/$2 each. I have about a dozen of them. You can tell they are seconds because there is no Fiskars Logo on the handle. A Fiskars manufacturing plant was in my community but was moved to Mexico several years ago. We used to have an annual sale that brought people from several states away. Some folks would fill their vans with literally thousands of items and then sell them on Ebay.

http://www.warehouseweekends.com/200...ouse-sale.html

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...g-t460440.html

The best Fiskars tying scissors are the "sport scissors" they made several years ago. Note the Fiskars logo on the handle. They have finer tips than the scissors on Ebay. They are specifically made for fly tying. I have been using mine for over 15 years and I still have 3 more in storage.

If you are going to use Fiskars for tying, they make a sharpener that has a ceramic ros and you insert the scissors inot teh slot and "cut" and the sharpens the scissors.

If you are going to use Fiskars for tying, they make a sharpener that has a ceramic rod and you insert the scissors into the slot and "cut" to the sharpens the scissors. You can feel the metal coming off the edges.

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001558.php
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 02-06-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I don't use Fiskar scissors, but I don't know where I would be without Fiskar rotary fabric cutters for cutting foam sheets into strips.

Now can you imagine getting replacement new blades for $1.00 each. (actually 2 for $2) I have a lifetime supply of those also. The folding self-healing cutting mats were $4 each.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 02-06-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Default scissors

Walmart sells Westcott Titanium scissors that hold their edge very well and very inexpensive. i started using mine as my primary scissors about a year ago, and they are still going strong.

they are similar to fiskars in looks.

garthman

I have been eyeballing a pair of these at wallyworld. Just under $12. Easy-Action-Scissors.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I have had a pair of these for 8 or 9 years and they are still going strong - they flip out of the way when not needed easily and are well balanced. I also have a pair of the 4" ones in my travel kit. The little sharpener mentioned in this thread also works well and is quite inexpensive. I got both at Wal-Mart so they are also easy to find.

AlanB Guest

Thank you. Years ago I bought a pair of Fiskars scissors for general household use. They were brilliant, eventually became my standard large tying scissors. They lasted about 15 years, until one of the shows I tied at. Since then I have not been able to find the same shape. Trawling around looking for a pair of the Sportsman's Scissors I finally found them. They are Avanti Sewing Scissors.

It seems the Sportsman Scissors are not available here. I've never found a pair of Fiskars with fine enough blades for fine fly tying work, that have large enough finger holes. Its a shame as they are usually very high quality.

Cheers,
    C.

I've been using the Fiskars 'MicroTip' soft grip scissors for years as my primary fly tying scissors. (The ones Uncle Jesse is eyeing)

Spring loaded, lock closed, and have large straight handles. All of which fit my tying style. Fiskars sells a sharpener for their scissors, it's not excpensive, that allows you keep them sharp without having a professional do it.

(I have three pairs).

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 02-07-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by garthman View Post
    Walmart sells Westcott Titanium scissors that hold their edge very well and very inexpensive. i started using mine as my primary scissors about a year ago, and they are still going strong.

they are similar to fiskars in looks.

garthman

I bought some of those as well. I haven't tried them as of yet.
    Regards,

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    I don't use Fiskar scissors, but I don't know where I would be without Fiskar rotary fabric cutters for cutting foam sheets into strips.
    John,
    Me too! Got mine a year or so ago & wouldn'
    t be without 'em...

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread