+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Twisting fly line?

Default Twisting fly line?

--start background info--
    I'm using a Bass Pro cheapie $100 special (White River / Hobbs Creek) with the WF8F that came with it. I generally pull the entire fly line off the reel into a pile next to me when I cast - I am blind-casting to bass, just trying to cover as much water as possible, and can sometimes get the whole line cast.

I've noticed that after I cast there's often 10-15 ft of line between the reel and first eye.

A lot of the time it is twisted to the point that this extra line twists around itself, sometimes causing issues on my next cast, which might go further.
    --end background info--

--start question--
    Is this twisting indicative of a casting error, or is it just something that happens ? I watched the Bass Pro guy put the line on the reel the first time so I know it didn't *start out* twisted.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

--MZR
    --end question--

It comes from casting in an oval which most people do. Slightly lower on the back cast than the forward cast. It might come from the fly spinning but that would show up on your leader first unless it was torsionally stiffer than the fly line.
    It is compounded by having more line out than you need.
    To fix it drag the line, without a fly attached, around the lake a few minutes (or let it drift downstream)
    Another cure is to hold your rod loosely by the butt and around the stripping guide area with no slack in the line at that point and spin the rod so the reel (near your right hand) comes over the top at you (if you cast right handed) When you do a few good, long false cast the twists should be gone. To check for twist, every so often just put some slack line between the reel and first stripping guide parallel to each other. If it twists together, you know what to do!

[This message has been edited by Jackster (edited 14 April 2006).]

Mikey, also quit stepping on the line when it's at your feet(Take it from one who's been there). Ditto on the stripping basket. It might not look purrrrdy, but a kid's bicycle basket & military web belt(wide OD ones) work great. The wide web belt can also be used as a wader belt, and to hang stuff from. Heck, the whole combat harness can be rigged for flyfishing. Jamie

------------------
    "Fishing is more than a sport.It is a way of thinking and doing,a way of reviving the mind and body" Roderick Haig-Brown
    Take a Kid Fishing. HECK, take ME Fishing(and my kids,LOL)

Just a thought, but could the cheaper line be a problem? And do you treat it at all?

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Mike,

I have had a good quality brand of fly line that had a twisting problem as well. I have had many, many lines and had never had a twisting problem untill this line. I tried streatching it, letting it out behind the boat without a fly, cleaned and conditioned it, and even tried to twist it by hand in the opposite direction. Nothing I did made a difference. I can understand that a casting problem may cause some twist, but if that was the case, every fly line I have had and have now would be twisting, but that is not the case. I simply threw the line away, and replaced it with a new SA line. I have never had a fly line with a twist since.

I would suggest replacing the line with new, keep it cleaned and conditioned, and have fun! Nothing casts like a new line.

Have fun, Jeff

------------------
    Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.

As noted, you will get twists as a result of casting, and for other reasons too. The following two links from RIO's website have some notes on this. The first link has essentially the same info Jackster posted, but with photos. On the second link, its the last Q on the FAQ page.

[url=http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/coiltwist.asp:729bc]www.rioproducts.com/pages/coiltwist.asp[/url:729bc] [url=http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/faq.asp:729bc]www.rioproducts.com/pages/faq.asp[/url:729bc]

Thanks for all the replies, gals and guys!

Ladyfisher- I honestly didn't know I was supposed to be conditioning the line... guess I have some research to do as far as what that intails (entails?).

tailingloop- thanks for the links, they both had great info.

That's a common problen with any line casting with a lot of line on the ground. Everyone is correct, the answer is simple. Get yourself a stripping basket, it will eliminate 90% of all the tangles.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

9. Default

Mike, Jackster gives some good advice. Here is some more. Stretching will not help reduce tangling if line twist is the cause, and it appears to be in your case. You must remove the twist, that's the only cure. Here are a couple more ways to do that..
    Bruce

Line twist, cause and cure

Many casters cast with a slightly (or not so slightly) elliptical casting stroke. This will cause considerable line twist. Always roll casting from the same side will also twist lines badly. Everyone twists lines to one degree or another, here?s how to fix it.

Pull 6-7 ft. of line from the reel and hold the line in a big U shape with the upper legs of the U about 6? apart. If the line is twisted the U will twist around itself. Pinch one leg of the U between thumb and forefinger. Twist the line with your fingers, if the twist gets worse, reverse twist direction. Now that you know which way the line is twisted, start casting and continue twisting the line between the fingers. This motion will work the twist out of the line and out through the rod guides. Repeat this process whenever twist returns, and it will.

Another method that works well is to swing the line in a circular motion with the rod over your head. With 20-30 ft. of fly line out of the rod, swing it in a clockwise circle over your head, if you are right handed, counterclockwise if your are left handed. This will twist the line in the opposite direction that your casting twisted it and also cure the problem.

I'd re-spool with a high end line...This is the one and ONLY thing in equip. that I will not go cheap on...

read your post and am not certian of exactly how you go about covering the water...but it may pay to start out with 30 yds off the reel and start working water closer to the shore...and work your way further out as you cover an area...you'll have less line issues and a more enjoyable fishing experience....prolly pick up a few extra fish as well, That you may be spooking off by lining them if trying to haul the full line out as soon as you get to the water..

90% of all fishing is done at less than 30 yards for most anglers....Just some thoughts.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread