+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winston new 5 piece rod

NewTyer 1 Guest

I would love to own a nice English SxS 20 ga with side etchings and gold inlay and a nice walnut case. I myself cannot justify spending that much money on a rod. Although, I am in the process of buying a Powell 9' 13wt with reel for $500 and having to do that by payments. I can't wait until I finally get it paid off. Hopefully before my trip to New England for Spring Break. Going to try my hand at salt water.
    Sorry for rambling. I didn't mean to get this thread off track.

Just curious, which Winston 5 pc rod are you seeing at that price? On their site, the 5 pc rods are listed at $750.00, which seems to be in line with the high end offerings from Sage and Orvis and a little less than the Winston boron rods. Are these prices crazy? Sure they are, but the market is what the market is, and obviously someone is willing to pay those prices, or they wouldn't sell them. Won't be me (I build all of mine now with very inexpensive blanks), but I'd never begrudge somebody wanting to own what they think is the ultimate tool/toy if that's what makes them happy (or if they don't know any better); keeps the folks in Twin Bridges and Bainbridge Island in business.

Regards,
    Scott

ScottP,

The rod is the Winston BIIIX TRAVEL ROD, 9', 4-6wts. One can purchase the 4 pc., in the same rod lengths and weights for $100.00 less...saw this on my home forum and just don't believe an extra section and minimal space savings are worth the price...

http://www.cabelas.com/fly-fishing-r...:referralID=NA

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
    Dave,Top shelf S X S start around $5000 and you can pay whatever you want. O/U around $1200 on up. You can get Turkish utility S X S for $1000 for a nice one. Rods are cheap by comparison.Bob

...and how much would you suppose that $5000.00 upland gun weighs? Because if I'm doing the math right and if the stated catalog weights are correct, the only Winston that I'd be interested in right now is running at $ 5,088.00 per pound.

That's a bootin' deal !
    Dave

As others have stated there is a market for $900.00 graphite fly rods. Fly fishers compared to other types of anglers, will always pay top dollar for what they to preceive to be the best products on the market. How many of us own Simms $700.00 front zip waders? Will these rods they make one a better caster/ fisherperson no. But someone will always think they will. But as the quest to produce the perfect graphite fly rod continues I think that we will see in the not too distant future production rods from the high end makers going for a $1000.00. Tom Morgan graphite rods sell for over $1000.00. I wonder how many rods he sells a year at that price and yes he is a small niche rod maker who probably targets a very small % of fly fishers.

Are they dropping the LT 5 piece line of rods?

The LT is being dropped. Many places have already sold out of their rods and blanks. Great rod

I have Helios and although I love the Shizz out of that rod, I find it insane the GRAPHITE rods sell for much over $500. They are getting intoBamboo price and Bamboo I understand.
    Seems all the companies are heading there. One thing I don't get is a Freshwater Reel running over $300. ;-P

We are living at a time of inflation and world competition. Each company decides what their business strategy will be for their future. Who are their core customers? How will they supply and service them? A fly rod can be a lifetime investment. Fly fishing can offer a lifetime of interest and enjoyment. Just like there are people who will spend $1000 on a rod there will be people to spend $100 on a fly line or $1000's on a fly reel. It is an investment into your interest. Again not everybody is into the how low can you go. It is a different business model.

$895 puts this rod out of the range of what I would be willing to pay for a fly rod. I have a couple Scott Rods (G2) and one Winston (BIIt). The Scott rods I bought used (one from a guy on this forum) and the Winston I bought new while on a fishing trip with my son. The memory of that trip is worth far more than the rod to me.

However, I also own several less expensive rods (St. Croix, Cabela's, Reddington). It's all about how much a person wants to pay and what is the value to him/her.

Now, don't ask what I paid for my Les Paul, any of my Strats or the Martin acoustic guitar. Let's just keep that private....

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread