+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tying light needed

Default New tying light needed

Would like all your opinions on tying lights.I am in the market for a new one and would like to know your likes and dislikes about what you have.Thans in advance for your input.

For years I've used a good quality large magnifying lamp for my tying. I'd read about Ott lights but never felt the need to add one. Then I found an Ott light on sale at mylocal Hobby Lobby at a price that was so cheap, I could pass it up. The difference is amazing. If all you're lookng for is a tying light, then I don't think you can go wrong with the Ott light task model.

Jim Smith

I have a double gooseneck desk lamp that I equipped with 2-23 watt compact fluorescent bulbs The whole st up cost less than $20.00.

Likes- cheap and a huge amount of light.

Dislikes- takes a couple minutes for the bulbs to warm up and put out their maximim amount of light.

A little bit of advice...stay away from anything labeled "fly tying". It will cost you twice as much as something in the "real world".

Happy Shopping!!

Brad

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Blog Entries

I have a 13 watt CFL in the floor lamp beside the desk, but the 100-watt halogen lamp with the flexible arm (Wal-Mart, about $15) is much nicer to use for tying. And reading.

As Jim Smith did, I got a super buy on an Ott light task light. Now I'm sorry I only bought 1.
    In addition to being a great light, they are compact & travel easily.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

You can find the re-chargable Ott light at Lowe's for $35.00. MSRP $129.98! It's a bit bulky and the battery is only good for about an hour but it realy lights up the fly you're tying. I seldom use the battery anyway.

Whether or not the Ott's are significantly better for the money than other daylight lights is an ongoing discussion.....there are often days when there are good sales but day to day I think it is hard to beat this lamp.

http://www.esplighting.com/1147.html

note the price
    note it is 27 watts....most of the others are 13 or 18...I feel the more the merrier.

I've had mine for some time and got it at Home Depot...at that time on sale for $19.99

took the base off and mounted it direct to my table...less foot print.
    You can see it in place here...I have subsequently removed the clamp on white lamp you see since with 27 watts it is unnecessary.

"I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

Ott Task Lamp (w/battery)
    Good: compact, portable, cool, cheap enough at the right places
    Bad: Insufficient height, minimal reach, low output, ridiculous list price

Halogen task lamp
    Good: affordable; decent height & reach, available everywhere
    Bad: hot; base occupies too much space on small desk

Goodwin Mfg Giraffe http://giraffelamps.com/Default.htm
    Good: well built; long reach; accepts many bulbs including Chromalux; ventilated head stays cool;
    numerous mounting options with quick release via ball-and-detent; optional magnifiers; possibly
    the perfect hobby lighting system.
    Bad: dealer network?; kinda spendy...but, hey, this is for fun

Blog Entries

http://us.daylightcompany.com/produc...op-lamp-white/ or http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053
    I got one of these, or one similar to it. I love it. I got mine on Ebay about a year ago. I had the cheapest Ott lamp they made. The light was good, but the lamp part was not good. It would not stay in position, and it was too low. My second light after the Ott Lite I got at Home Depot or Lowe's. It was about 24-29 dollars or something like that. It had a magnifier through the top of the lamp. It worked good, but after a while, the moveable arm part of it would not hold anymore. The Daylight lamp was awesome. It is a little more, but it is the only lamp you need. They also make a foldable light that I use at tying events. Great product.

+ Reply to Thread