+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your Thanksgiving tradition?

Default What's your Thanksgiving tradition?

Mine used to be:
    Look forward to siblings coming in. Eat a nice dinner and then one would mention something political and then the fight would start and we'd all get mad and vow never to see one another again.
    Now, I go to my wife's Aunt's, eat, get bored to tears, and fall asleep. But this one has a nicer ending.

New Years is better. I go with a friend and his boy and fly fish.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Eat a lot of snacks, then watch football, then eat a lot more food, and then the tryptophan kicks in and everyone passes out. Lots of turkey samiches for the rest of the week, though.

Our children and any significant friends used to come over, my wife and I would prepare a smoked turkey breast, she like to buy it pre-smoked, they kids like me to do it. Lots to eat; sit around visit, slip off to another room maybe watch a little football if there is an interesting game on. I became tired of the Lions losing but crippling their opponents star years ago. If the weather is nice maybe slip off and fish a little.

This year my daughter is traveling to Dayton, OH to spend the holiday with her brother who is working on his PhD at Miam U. of Ohio. So it will be Mom and me and the cats. Less of the same food.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

We go to my Niece & Nephew's in Columbus. I take a couple batches of peanut butter fudge. Niece roasts a turkey & I deep fry one...leftovers are all the roasted one. Not much of the fried one makes the table as there is always a line in the kitchen as I carve it. NONE of the skin makes the table!!
    It's a great time with Family. Good food & good company.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Here, fishy fishy fishy... Just wish the rest of the family adhered to that tradition. Looks like an early afternoon meal at my seester's, although her husband is at work and some of the others can't make it at all... oh well, family, gotta love em anyway. *S*

We've been switching off between my folks and her folks for years, but now it's sometimes at our house as we all grow older. Where ever it is, we generally eat until we are in pain, then lay around until we are only uncomfortable. That is the signal for my mother in law to bring out pecan pie and my wifes famous vanilla pie, which we eat until we are in pain again. Then we lay around until we are only uncomfortable again, which is the signal for my mother in law to bring out the leftovers to make sandwiches.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

To go with my kids (now adults), up to the Eastern Sierras and spend a day looking for these:

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

We rotate around the family who is hosting Thanksgiving dinner. Last year we had it and my sons and I boiled a bird in oil. I must say we out did ourselves with the bird as it came out of the pot of boiling oil cooked to perfection. My wife along with the help of her sister did a bang up job on the sides and the entire meal was about as good as it gets. Also my wife is a part time baker and cake decorator so the deserts were fantastic. Why am I telling you all of this? Well, this year Thanksgiving dinner is at my brother in law's house and for some reason he needs to beat everyone else at everything or at least think he has. I am looking forward to this years dinner 'cause we set a pretty high bar last year. He will need to work hard to match or beat us which is just fine with me.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Eating. Fishing. Family outing for Christmas tree. More eating...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

off to the Catskills for a week of work at the fiance's home. And dinner...........
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

+ Reply to Thread