+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furled Mohair Microjig

Default Furled Mohair Microjig

This is Rick Zieger's "Furled Tail Mohair Leech", tied on a microjig:

Here's a link to Rick's pattern/tying instructions:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...sh/part535.php
    Last edited by FishnDave; 11-14-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nicely tied jig

I likke them.. Will have to look for mohair in those colors.
    Don't get to the big city often.

Rick

The top color is "Canadian Brown", which has a lot of other colors in it that don't show up well in the picture. Wish I could tell you where to look, Rick. Sportsmans Warehouse in Ankeny has a few colors of Mohair...look near their chenille cards.

I may have picked these up at Scheel's at Jordan Creek Mall in West Des Moines...when they were closing out most of their fly-tying materials. They don't carry much fly-tying stuff any more.

You could also try Bass Pro Shops in Altoona, but I can't recall what they have for Mohair...
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Spirit River has what they call the "All Around" Rotary Cassette Dispenser of Mohair Leach & Buggy Yarn which is a nice container which contains 6 different colors that are on their own spools and "feed" out of a small slit on the front of the container which is real handy. I paid $9.99 for it at our local fly shop. It comes with the following colors of Mohair Yarn: Black, Purple, Pink, Olive, Gray and a Gold color very similar to the color of the bottom jig in your picture.

I like the jig as you have it tied and the only thing I changed on mine was to paint the leadhead red and put eyes on each side which is just "what I do" and probably has nothing to do with the "fish catching" of the jig.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

looks like it would make a dandy pan fish pattern too. might have my kids tie up a few of those for this spring once we get snowed into the house for the winter

thanks a bunch for sharing the pattern and good pics too

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    I likke them.. Will have to look for mohair in those colors.
    Don't get to the big city often.

Rick
    Rick, PM me your address...I don't know if I have your current one.
    I don't have a lot of it, but I can send you a bit of each of the colors I have. Should get you through until you can find more of it. You've certainly helped me PLENTY!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    I like the jig as you have it tied and the only thing I changed on mine was to paint the leadhead red and put eyes on each side which is just "what I do" and probably has nothing to do with the "fish catching" of the jig.
    Warren, that's not a old tendency left over from your bass fishing days is it? I have had a good deal of success fishing silver and gold plated jig heads for trout. If I buy plain lead I tend to go for a black finish but I might add gold and black eyes on the side. If you were going for trout an egg sucking leech look by paint the head an egg color might be good.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Those will catch fish for sure! I like that canadian brown...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

If you are having tropuble finding Mohair yarns (or don't have a fly shop close and prefer to buy it in person rather than over the 'net), check to see if you have a yarn shop near you. They are springing up all over, and they will have skeins of the stuff in a myriad of colors. Just don't be surprised if you spend a lot of money in one of these stores.....it's amazing what fly shops DON'T carry....BS
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread