+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MO outlaws felt-what should I do?

I switched to Simms vibram w/studs and have been pretty much upright although I still don't think they grip as well as studded felt; with 3 knee surgeries and no desire for a 4th, positive traction is important.

Regards,
    Scott

I use the Orvis River Guard Easy-On Brogue and my buddy has a pair of the River Guard Ultralight Wading Boots with EcoTrax Soles. Both of us are pleased with our purchases.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I've been wearing LL Bean wading boots with Aquastealth soles for quite a few years, and these boots have kept me on my feet while fishing in a variety of conditions. I would think that some of the newer Vibram soles boots with studs and more aggressive soles would work even better.

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

You can get your boots resoled at a Simms authorized repair center I think its 70 bucks. Check the Simms web site for a center near you.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/streamtread.html
    Last edited by Icemanxxxv; 10-04-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Added link

I have worn both the LL Bean studded Aquastealth and the Simms studded Vibram soles. After a couple pairs and seasons, I had to sell the Beans because the toe box wasn't as roomy as I needed after a toe injury and have worn the Simms for two seasons or so since. I don't know why it would be, but I still think the studded Aquastealth were the best sole I've worn. I felt VERY secure in terms of traction in the water and when it came to walking up and down banks in various conditions, they were infinitely better than felt soles. One caveat, I get the impression there's a huge difference between AS soles without studs and the same soles with studs. I wouldn't even consider getting them without.

WHAT?!?!?! Now I have to go buy new boots too! Dangit!
    Tim

I think just about any good quality boot with the new soles will do you. But, I think oldfrat hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that he uses a wading staff. If you don't have one, it may not be a bad idea to pick one up.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have a pair of the Simms with the vibrum soles with studs installed, no problems in the two years I have had them. I would recommend whatever you get to install the studs and use a wading staff, also not sure if its the studs or the tread on the bottom of the vibrum soles but I don't slip and slide on the river banks before I make it to the water like I did with the felt soles.

Rodney

I've been very happy with my Orvis River Guard boots. (Easy-On Brogue with studs) I've had them for two years now. They are holding up very well. I have used them out west on the Snake, Frying Pan, Roaring Fork, Yellowstone, Lamar, Soda Butte, Slough Creek etc...They have also seen a lot of wade time in Michigan and Ontario. I have not experienced any problems with them. They probably have over 300 wading days on them so far and they still look new. I love them.

They fit very roomy. I had to order down a full size from my previous wader boots.

PS...YES to the wading staff. I don't wade without on any more. I slipped on a rock and fall on the Grand River here in Ontario and separated my collar bone a few years ago. That was what got me to move to studded boots and keep a staff handy.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 10-07-2011 at 04:35 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

thanks for the info on why the boot bottom needs to be banned. I am a bio guy and never gave that a thought. While I don't get to many different creeks, the ones I do get lucky enough to get out to are not naturally connected save me dragging crub stuck in that felt.
    Great catch to whom ever realized what was going on with those bottoms

+ Reply to Thread