+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renzetti strikes again!!

Default Renzetti strikes again!!

Flyfishers!!
    Within our world is a company that is bent on becoming a monopoly. Within the past two years, this company has threatened legal action against other companies making tying vises and succeeded in making those companies change their designs to avoid legal hassles and bills.
    NOW, they want to copyright the words "True rotary" to keep others from using this descriptive phrase and once again push other folks around and in general be a bully and pain in the rear. Is a Wankel a true rotary engine. Is the use of those two words an infringement when describing somethings characteristics and attributes?
    It saddens me that something of this nature would happen in the flyfishing community. However, I know Renzetti is not the only maker of fly tying vises and tools and in the last six months, my new vise was NOT a Renzetti because of their attitude. Somebody else (Peak) got my money and I am immensely satisfied with the Peak products and craftsmanship.
    I also got a Renzetti catalog and searched through all my tools and got out the Renzetti products and destroyed them. I could have donated them but why help such a company?
    America was founded because people wanted a better way. It is American to build better and get ahead of the other guy with new ideas,etc.. It is not American to slap down the competition with petty lawsuits etc..
    These are my opinions and what I believe!
    What do you think?

Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

Andy,
    Why would you destroy something you have already paid for? They already got your money in their pocket.Who got hurt in that deal?
    You have done the most painful thing you can by giving negative publicity. I just hope they are not a sponsor, kind of looks bad when you rip the sponsors
    Thanks for the info, I will remember that when I get ready to buy a vise

3. Default

Well destroying the tools was a bit extreme IMHO.
    You already gave the company your $$ so donating them wouldn't have further their cause.

All tho I do agree with you on the monopoly bit. Getting sick of it and it seems to be the way of the world anymore!
    It's not fair if the competition wants to make something very similar but not exactly the same. So what?
    Personally I think all "name brand" vise's are WAY over priced! Heck there isn't much to em....why the huge cost?
    Renzetti Traveler for example....just a SIMPLE vice why does it hafta be $150-$175+.
    It's aluminum for Christ sake not Titanium!!
    Now a Thompson Barracuda or a Maryatt I can see cuz there is a LOT of tooling in them.
    IIRC the Barracuda is all Stainless? Which is expensive stuff to begin with.

I'm off my soap box now.....getting on my flame suit!

------------------
    Jim Bolden Sr

I caught a Fish so big once I couldn't weigh it.
    Took a picture of it and the picture weighed 20LBS! (My Dad)

Guys,
    Through the period of a year, I will teach several new people to tye. I know how impressionable I was when I started tying and I wanted a tool just like so and so had when they tyed. I don't want anyone to see me with Renzetti tools in my hands and perpetuate the company. We all have choices and live in a "free" America where we have the freedom to use those choices and this is mine.
    I'm normally a pretty mild individual but this really torques me and I choose to exercise my freedom of speech. I strongly believe in our American way of life and that each of us can do our part by expressing our opinion. I express my opinion by not purchasing Renzetti products and telling those I associate with of their company practices.

Thanks,
    Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

oh boy.
    here we go again *rolling eyes*

don't you think that there are bigger issues to get worked up about? things more worthwhile to protest? concerns that effect far more people than flytiers about which to blow off steam exercising free speech?

I certainly do.

mgj

Isn,t the only 'true rotary' a Nor Vice???
    B.C.Nick

I believe the Nor-Vise is a:

Really, Really Rotary Vise.

I hesitate to think of what Nor-Vices are.

The Nor-Vise is a "True Spin Rotary" vise.

Maybe Norm should copyright the "Spin" and then Renzetti will have to use "twirl" in their advertising ... real Fly tyers don't twirl!

lol

Andy

Since you've asked, I think you're nuts for destroying all your Renzetti tools. It didn't hurt them one bit.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

"copyright 'True Rotary'"

Absolutely legally impossible. Two words are too little for copyright protection. Period.

Perhaps they are trying to trademark them, but they are descriptive words that would seem difficult to protect.

Has it ever occurred to you that just maybe everyone else is knocking off their patents and that they have experts on the matter advising them so?

Enforcing intellectual property rights does not automatically equate to monopolization.

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 08 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread