+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CDC tool

Default CDC tool

Has anyone used the Marryat CDC tool? Also has anyone read "Tying with CDC". I would appreciate an opinion on one or both.
    Thanks Oldster

I had a short lesson on using it at the Denver (I think) FTD show a couple of years ago. I thought it was pretty neat.

AlanB Guest

I use both the Marryat and the Petitjean Magic Tool for CdC. They perform different jobs and have both earned their place on my tying table. The main use for the Marryat tool is when I need a bunch of CdC fibres. I do find that the fibres without the stem make for a better wing on flies like the F Fly. When rolling the stem I find it better to start at the tip than in the middle as in the instructions.
    Cheers,
    Alan

I have no experience with the Marryat CDC tool, but you may want to take a look at Marc Pettijean's Magic Tool. This is a great tool for working with cdc. Here is a link: http://www.petitjean.com/shop/en/magic-tool

Here is a YouTube video if Marc using the Magic Tool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rb3-hR8PpQ
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 09-24-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Added youtube link
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldster View Post
    Has anyone used the Marryat CDC tool? Also has anyone read "Tying with CDC". I would appreciate an opinion on one or both.
    Thanks Oldster
    See this video starting at about 5:50 into it for the tool.

http://youtu.be/PqxsfBF-hmg

If you do a Google search, the reviews on its usefullness are mixed.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

By contrast, I have the Magic Tool and never use it, and decided that the Marryat was just more of the same. I'd spend the money elsewhere if I were you.

Ian Moutter's "Tying with CDC" is an excellent book, in my opinion, and his other books are worth checking out as well. If this is an either/or question, I'd definitely opt for the book over the tool(s).

Having watched the video, I think the same effect could be obtained with fine-pointed smooth hemos/forceps. Or perhaps you could use a toothpick or similar and wrap around that. A nick in the toothpick might even help.

For what it is worth while I am here - the Magic Tool can be imitated by taking a small block of dense foam and cutting a slit in it. If the thread and/or hackle is not strong enough to press into the slot, then an old credit card does the trick. Dowels can be found anywhere, and for the clamp use a small chrome binder clamp and improve it my putting some heavy (packing) tape along the edges.

I would rather not purchase what I can easily make.

Blog Entries

I have the Magic tool set and really find it convenient and useful. I believe that if someone designed and built something specifically for fly tiers and it works well and is relatively inexpensive he/she should be rewarded and encouraged by buying their product.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 09-27-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks to you all for your help. I've decided to buy the book and try Greg's suggestion on using the foam block. I had a look at the Marryat tool at fly a shop and asked about it there. They suggested clipping a V out of the feather end to get rid of the stem and then tying in the cdc wing. I've tied up some cdc sulfer duns to use on a recent trip and the trout liked them!

+ Reply to Thread