+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S & M Bobbins

Default S & M Bobbins

Any other fans of the S & M bobbin out there? I picked one up after reading a recommendation from A.K. Best. Since they are half the price of the ceramic bobbins I usually use I thought why not give them a shot. I have to say he seems to be right. The tube is smooth with a nice beveled edge at the tip , it has a nice weight to it for holding down a turn of thread over material when you let the bobbin hang and the square body design allows it to stand on end for a quick pick up from the tying table. All and all its not the reinvention of the wheel but it does have a nice feel in the hand when tying. These are only my first impressions since I have just gotten it and have not used it much so far but I can see why some people really like them. Has anyone else out there used one and if so what do you think?

Only bobbin I use; just like the way it fits my hand. And yeah, I started using them in 1992 after I got my copy of A.K.'s Production Fly Tying, thread nips too. Mr. Best knows a thing or two about the subject

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 09-03-2011 at 09:29 PM.

I, too, have an original S & M bobbin, but I don't think they produce them anymore. There are some reasonable facsimiles out there, but I'm not sure I'm going to give them a try. I think the originals are great. They fit in my hand nicely and stand on end.
    Bruce

I found the guy who now sells them. There still made and assembled in Connecticut. He only offers one model , the original full length. I hope he starts to offer the shorter model at some point because I would like to pick up a couple more.

Great, Texfly, do have a link for the bobbins?

I have several and lov'em.......
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Doug,

Sorry I missed you when I was in Gardiner a few weeks ago. Stopped by the shop and had a nice talk with Wally and Ben; picked up one of your Spruce Moths, tied some up but then never saw any more of the bugs on my way back up towards Belgrade. Oh, well, got a head start for next year. Hope the rest of summer goes well for you.

Regards,
    Scott

Bummer ~ I would have enjoyed meeting you Scott.... I was only out there for a month this year. I was supposed to help out guiding some for the shop. Richard got my guide lic. for me but then I hurt my ankle bad. I then decided not to guide as my wife and I wanted to maximize our time fishing... So that's what I did... Check out my blog for the details of the trip starting in July..... Anyway glad you got the Spruce Moth pattern, it's a killer when they are on them. Fish it without floatant as a dropper and hang on.... also give the Spent Wing Caddis a try, same tie but with Pheasant feathers and fished the same way... Hopefully we will meet and get a chance to fish sometime, Doug.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread