+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighting a scud

Default Weighting a scud

I have been trying to tie up some scuds and sowbugs. I use tungston beads for all my midges and nymphs but really don't like the look of beadhead scuds. I was wondering about using lead wire to weight the scud. On a size 16 and 18, how many lead wraps to get the approximate weight of a 5/64 tungston bead. Or do you guys have another weighting option.

steve

I wasn't crazy about bead-head scuds either, then I fished the Missouri, Bighorn and Beaverhead this spring and caught a lot of big fish on Firebead Scuds with those fluorescent orange/pink beads; made a believer out of me.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott, have you ever fished them here in the East? Just wondering.
    Bruce

Bruce,

No I haven't; it seems to be a winner on tailwaters out west, but I don't fish that kind of water back here. Don't know if they take it for a scud or just a general attractor but it sure did work. For the PA spring creeks I used to fish, I just used unweighted patterns and added very small split shot as needed. That bead might be a bit too garish for limestoners; then again who knows? One of the biggest fish I ever saw on Falling Springs executed a heartbreaking rise to a wad of chartreuse Bio-strike putty I was using for an indicator.

Regards,
    Scott

A couple of options are out there for weighting scuds, with lead or non-lead wire being probably the easiest. I wouldn't use larger than .015 if I were to wrap a hook shank for a scud, with only about 5 or 6 wraps per size 14 hook, right in the middle of the shank. Another option is to tie the bead in the middle and tie the scud pattern around the bead.

Personally I don't weight my scud patterns since I don't like them riding upside down on the drift. I usually use a bead-head nymph to get my offering down to the fish and then trail an unweighted scud pattern behind that tied as a dropper off of the bend of the bead-head fly's hook. I like that scud to drift naturally just over the weeds as I impart a small amount of wiggle from time to time mimicking the natural scooting along the weeds.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

You can use lead tape that is used to add weight to golf clubs and tennis racquets. See the pattern below for instructions:

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/czech/
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

I have seen scud bodies that were weighted, you buy them that way. Look up Ribbed Tungsten Scud Bodies. Or Ribbed Tungsten Scud or Shrimp Bodies. You will see what I mean.

I don't weight all of mine, but the ones that I do wieght, I like to attatch lead or non-lead wire to the sides of the hook with my tieing thread. Gives a nice shape to the fly and I believe they ride nicer in the current.

FWIW
    I use the copper wire from lamp cords. It comes in multiple thin strands. Wrap as much or as little as you need.
    It may not be as dense as lead or tungsten but I have an unlimited supply and can vary the amount. I also want to try and be a little bit more friendly to nature and my brain cells.
    If I really want to bounce a scud along the bottom I'll also use a thicker ribbing wire.

DanielJ, Where are you fishing the scuds? I love to fish up on the Mogollon Rim lakes but have never used a scud that I recall.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread