+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo vs. Graphite

My dream setup is a nice 7'6'' 4wt bamboo, alconite stripper guide with a vintage hardy reel.

I owe my love of flyfishing to an old bamboo fly rod. I found as a kid one day rumaging through a closet of my dad's fishing stuff in the garage.

My dad didn't fly fish but he had bought it years before as cheap small stream bait fishing rod. I wore the sticky fly line out trying to cast it. I saved up enough to buy a Herters $9 fiberglass rod which caught a lot of brook trout in the UP of Michigan. Now I fish graphite the lighter the better.

I have piecked up a few old bamboo rods.
    I find thast I cast better witht hem thanI do with graphite.
    Must be because I make Castwell roll in his grave every time I cast.

Rick

These are great responses. I own 4 boos, all of which I assembled together myself with blanks purchased from rod makers in the USA, although I have a British made blank as well. As in so many things, the tendency is to go full circle as there is a resurgence of fiberglass in recent forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
    Thanks for the headache!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

bobbyg,

It is also good if you have trouble sleeping.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
    bobbyg,

It is also good if you have trouble sleeping.

Bob
    Lol Bob! I'll download the pdf!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I thought I would post this for any that might be interested in a very decent bamboo rod that cost next to nothing.
    I was searching Craig's list locally for bamboo rods and older reels. Came across this rod and the seller had it listed for $50.00.
    I figured it was worth the drive to Chapel Hill.

I've been told it's a transitional Winchester/H-I rod. I believe it. The godawful reel seat is the most distinquishing characteristic.
    8' 3/2 with no bag or tube. I only recently gave it a workout in the backyard. It's a 4 weight taper that throws very tight loops
    with a wonderful, slightly slower than medium action. It rivals many rods that would cost close to a hundred times what I paid
    for it, basically in its great casting qualities. I ended up paying $25.00 as it does have a slight abrasion on one of the tips.
    Need someone to change out the reels seat and it's a definite keeper! Looking forward to fishing it this fall.

So, if you are diligent, there are still some good old bamboo rods to be had!

Looks like the majority of the respondents are 'boo fans. Just to add counterweight, have fished both and graphite is by far superior (weight, casting distance, cost, etc.). Tradition is the only advantage bamboo has. You might want to try it the sake of nostalgia, but you really aren't missing much unless you are driven by aesthetics, and then it might appeal to you. As a tool, a bamboo rod is pleasing to the eye, but a graphite rod is the better choice for getting the job done.

+ Reply to Thread