+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip Out West

Default Trip Out West

Our family vacation was moved to the first two weeks in august. This will be my first time fishing out there and need some help. We are going to yelllowstone and up into the tetons. What flies should i tie for this time of the year that are specific for then, i will have the normal flies i use everywhere. Adams, para adams, BWO, PMD, wooley buggers, HEN, PTN, Soft Hackles, ect. I have a six and a eight weight rod, which would be better suited to fishing that time of the year. Chest waders or Hip boots?
    Thanks
    CD

I'd check in with some of the shops in the area, Blue Ribbon http://blue-ribbon-flies.com. That time of year I'd have terrestrials (hoppers, beetles, ants, crickets), spruce flies, caddis (tan & green in 16-18; black 18-20), epeorus, some green drakes (or whatever they are up in the NE end of the park), attractors, etc. I'd think the 6wt should be plenty (I switch off between my 6 and my 4), and I'd bring the chest waders, although there are places where you can wet wade, too. I'll be out there mid-Aug, too; save me some fish.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 04-24-2015 at 05:08 AM.

Sparkle Duns, can get them at Blue Ribbon... are very popular as well in YNP. In Teton, hard to say, as the Snake has been blown out all summer long, and I think is still unfishable.

For Teton area, here's a good fishing report blog... http://www.flyfishingjacksonhole.com...shing-reports/

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Your best bet for flies and info is to hit the shops, spend a few bucks and talk it up.

Hip boots will keep you in safe water. For most of the waters out there, if you get up above that you'll probably float off and this year it's especially true, due to the record snow falls and the very late spring / summer melt. A lot of those rivers will be in flood until September. A few may be fishable by the time you get out there, so keep a close eye on the reports. A float tube is very nice to have to fish the lakes with and may save your holidays. (you'll need to get a float tube permit for YNP)
    Grasshopper, beetles and PMD are a good start. The big stone flies are just now coming off the Madison. I always have caddis and stonefly patterns in my box, too. If you do the lakes...an olive woolly bugger will do the trick. I like damsel fly nymphs myself.

Take bear spray!!

Are you camping?
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 07-18-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Thanks for the hlep. We might do some camping but as far as i know we are planning on renting a cabin in the area.

+ Reply to Thread