+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Montana Mongoose

Default Montana Mongoose

Has anyone used a Montana Mongoose vise. I'm looking for your thoughts on this vise and customer service form Griffin.

Griffin is the greatest vice company as far as service--just an 800 phone call away. Everythng has a lifetime guarantee. I have used the Mongoose and like it--do not own one. I have the Odyssey ,3ARP,and ten 2A's for children tying classes. If 200 kids can't damage the vise they must be well made.

------------------
    Bill

I bought one from an FAOL memeber about 2 months or so ago, and I love it, of course, I wish I had more time to tie some flys...but, after 07/01/06...all my time will be MINE then watch out!!!

I've had the Mongoose for about 18 months now. I love it. It's a bit techno looking but I don't mind. The rotary makes me happy. The case is helpful. I also like that it came with both bases (pedestal and c-clamp). I've had zero problems with it so haven't contacted customer service at all. The jaws have worked for me from a size 4 hook to a size 24 midge. Jaws a bit cludgy for that smaller midge hook but it worked fine. Take this for what it's worth..I've only tied on a Danvise and a very basic vise before this and have only been tying for a couple of years now.

Hope this helps.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

I've been using one for about a year and a half now. I thought it was a good buy and still do, dollars considered, but it hasn't been all I was hopeing for, just small quirks that have been sometimes annoying. I have not had to send it back or anything like that so I can't comment on customer service but I have never heard any negative remarks regarding the company. It's built in the USA and offers a good warranty and the prices of their vices are very competitive so that's what attracted me. Do I like it...yes. Would I buy it again,... probably not and I have been thinking about replacing this one. Just my humble opinion. Bruce

I have both the mongoose and the oddessy. I like them both and have had excellent customer service from Griffin. I would recommend there products without reservation.

I tend to tie more often on the oddessy ($80), most likely because I have owned it longer and am more used to it. The mongoose is a little bulkier and heavier, but can be adjusted into a vertical position. The vertical position is very nice for some patterns, such as woven body nymphs.

7. Default

After several years of using my Odyssy, which still works flawlessly, I now have a Montana Mongoose and it is a dream. I recommend it highly.
    Good Luck,
    Les Johnson

I also have been tying on the Mongoose for over a year. I am very pleased with it and would buy it again. Please note the following caveats.

1) Material holder spring: The clip that holds the material spring has little ears that have to be bent further down to securely hold the spring. otherwise it is very easy to pop the spring off when bumped. Easy fix.

2) I have the model with the screw-tightened jaws, not the cam-lever model, so I cannot vouch for it's performance. The jaws I have are great and hold whatever hook I throw at it. I do tie alot of saltwater flies on Mustad 34007 size 1/0 and 3/0. That said, the little o-ring at the base of the jaws broke on me just a week ago while I was tying a bunch of Deceivers. To my surprise, nothing happened. The jaws held just fine. It seems the o-rings main purpose is merely to keep the jaw assembly aligned. I went to the hardware and bought 4 replacement o-rings at 17 cents each. perfect fit, easy fix.

3) The vise comes with a two piece shaft for use when tying with the c-clamp. The shaft assembly is threaded, and can become loose when tying unless you bury the joint in the c-clamp. No problem for me, as that seems to be a good height for me and I usually use the pedastal anyhow, but test drive first to see if that height is good for you.

I think its a great vise. Comfortable, good looking, smooth rotary function and strong jaws. Cheers, Alec

[This message has been edited by flytackle (edited 30 March 2006).]

Thanks folks, that's exactly the kinda info I was looking for.

+ Reply to Thread