+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Water to Fish Midge Larva/Brassie Patterns?

Default Best Water to Fish Midge Larva/Brassie Patterns?

I'm new to midge fishing, so I'm wondering what's the best kind of water to fish midge Larva patterns?

Can trout see midges in riffles, or should I look for slower water?

Thanks,

Randy

There really isnt any water that doesn't make up "midge" water. I have fished riffles with less than 1 foot visibility on the San Juan, and you better have someting smaller than a size 20 pattern or you just were'nt going to get fish. Midge fishing takes confidence. Confidence that you know that tiny fly is what the fish want. If I might suggest, try using a two fly rig, with your larger nymphs on top, and a midge or brassie as a dropper.

"Midge" fishing is often equated with fishing small flies. I tend to think of it as "chironomid" fising, and chironomids can be found in all type of water, from riffles to still waters. In rivers there is a tendency to fish smaller flies than in lakes, but other than that, they work in most waters I've encountered. Never hurts to have some pupa patterns as well, especially if fishing lakes.

The midge pattern I use depends on the water conditions, but my nearest tailwater is pretty much all midge pupa/larva pattern fishing. In faster water, I'll use a tungsten zebra midge or a brassie that will help me get down a bit easier. In slower waters, I'll use a thread midge or a WD-40, or even a small soft hackle. They all work.

Are midges associated with colder water? Or is it just that I see so many in the cold tailwaters?

Cold water and warm water. I see fairly dense midge hatches on the lakes I fish even when the water reaches 80 degrees or more.

Out here in CO midge flies work year round. They are often the only flies that work well in winter weather as they hatch year round. They've worked for me in most kinds of moving water as long as I keep them close to the bottom. I can occasionally pick up something higher int he column, though, with a greased RS-2. I kind of hate fishing them as they are so hard to tie on and they do not generate the kind of surface hit you can get with a terrestrial in August. But these tiny flies do catch surprisingly big trout.

Brassies have worked best for me in fast moving water. Their key advantage seems to be that their weight gets them down to the bottom fast. If the water is moving at a moderate pace, I generally fish thread midges cuz I think they look more natural.

And now for the disclaimers. I'm not an expert. I'm just reporting from my own experience.

Folks,
    Thanks so much for the info. It's very helpful to me.
    Randy

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I kinda think trout can see anything... I fish with midges and nymphs most of the time usually as droppers under an elk hair cadis or something. I use midges down to size 20 and up to 14 sometimes, nymphs, usually 12, 14, 16..... the drys I drop from are usually 12, 14, sometimes 16s if the fish are getting picky. I have pretty good luck with this stuff most of the time.

I like to use floating stuff for bass, cause of the rush I get from topwater takes..... I think bass can see anything too.

.......Modoc Dan.......

Tailwaters under an indicator running a three-fly nymph rig...sorry, drooling a bit right now

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread