+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat 'N' Tackle

Many year's ago my younger brother and his buddy found some bamboo fly rod banks in an unclaimed freight warehouse. They built the rods and fished them for a couple of years until they left them in the back window of his car while they did something else on a hot summer day. When they went to get the rods and fish a while before dusk the rods had delaminated from the heat. I have no idea if the same thing would happen with other blanks as he had no idea who made them or how they were glued up.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

hairwing, I just saw the youtube... crazy stuff!

And for the rest: do you see a difference if the gear is in the trunk? In other words, not actually in direct sunlight, but still in a trunk?
    Last edited by teachmarkey; 06-28-2011 at 12:25 AM.

If you MUST store some gear in a hot car for a short time, then fine, but why do it if you don't have to? I just recently had a the frame of an expensive pair of Bolle sunglasses get warped from the heat in the car. They were in a case, under a towel, on the back seat out of direct sunlight. Temp was in the high 90's. Don't know how hot it was in the car. Don't leave crap in the car unless you have to.

Funny, I have a pair of Bolle sunglasses that have taken up permanent residence in my car. Sometimes in their case, in the glove compartment, but just as often, out in the open, uncovered, in the sun. I've left them that way for days at a time in the heat and I've never had them warp, bend, disfigure, or otherwise change in any way due to the heat in the car.

I keep most all my most-often-used fishing stuff in my trunk (3-4 rods & reels, 2 vests, waders, boots, etc.), and have never had a problem with it.

Your mileage may vary, though, of course. Just try leaving some gear in there for a few days at a time in the heat, making sure to check on it when you think of it. If it's fine after a few weeks of 90s temps, you're probably good to leave it in there.

IMO, heat affects everything you use. UV rays and just plain heat can and will loosen the epoxy that holds your real seat and the windings that hold your guides secure. Not to mention heat causing de-lamination of your favorite boo stick. Heat and UV rays will effect your fly line and mono leaders and tippets. The more heat and UV rays the faster the deterioration of all components with the exception of the reel itself. That being said, I believe that heat can also effect the drag efficiency of a cork drag system. The most important component of your fishing equipment is YOU. Heat will definitely affect you and your thinking process. When you get home after a hot day, take the time to put your gear away and clean it. Above all, keep hydrated and you will be able to make better decisions when you get home. There's no better way to take care of your gear, than taking too much care.
    I could be wrong, but not for me.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I always bring my gear inside when I get home, not just because of heat, but also to prevent theft. It's not that I've ever had a problem with theft (with the exception of some kickin' speakers 20 years ago), but maybe that's why. When I was a kid we always had a convertible and it was pounded into my head not to leave anything in the car that I didn't want to have stolen.

Does heat in a parked, closed car damage things? I'm sure it does, but how much I can't say. I can say for certain that it does them no good.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

I just don't feel right if I don't have a few rods in my auto at all times, ready to go. I will often go fishing during my lunch hours, and then maybe again in the evenings. I usually have 2-3 fly rods in the car, all rigged up and ready to go. Rods up to around 9' fit perfectly in my vehicle, so I don't even have to break them down. I haven't noticed any damage to the rods, reels or fly lines. Over time, the mono leaders or tippet need replaced, but that's a normal thing to do anyway.
    I'm sure the sunlight affects the rod and lines somewhat, so I certainly wouldn't tell anybody else to leave their gear in their cars. I've been keeping at least some fly rods in my car for at least 5 years, and still use all the rods each year. The only time the rods come out for any length of time is during the winter, when the ice-fishing gear gets put into the car instead.
    Someday maybe the rods will be damaged enough that they will need to be repaired or replaced... and they will have earned every minute.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread