+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Net or not?

Dave,

I'm with you on the appearance issue of the rubber netting. If there's clear evidence they do make a dramatic difference on the fish, I might consider it, but I do believe they are just damned ugly.

And Coach Bob, I do think you make a good point about wetting your hands before handling a fish. I probably have done that without thinking about it, but it's a good technique to keep in mind.

Hugh

Well heck, now you've forced me to chime in with another $.02 worth of opinion on this thread. I wasn't going to say anything about this part of it originally because I thought it strayed too far from the original question, but I think rubber nets have significant and multiple other advantages too over the other materials, including the mesh bags that are promoted as catch and release. I don't have a problem with the aesthetics of the rubber net bags, but that's another matter of individual opinion I guess. The older/heavier ones were indeed a bit of an eyesore, but the newer/thinner/lighter weight bags suffer no such problems in my opinion. I've had the nice mesh bags models and in two areas in particular, there's just no comparison between rubber bags (better) and the other types (worse). I have always mashed down all of my barbs and my flies were still consistently getting caught in mesh bagged nets. Especially if you fish with two flies, having a fish flopping around in the net while hooks are getting snagged, tippet wrapped, etc. is not only a pain to correct, but it's dangerous too. Single fly or double, you'll grumble when the snagged hook reimplants itself in the fish somewhere, but you'll really howl when it buries itself in your finger and the fish decides to show you what it feels like to have something tugging on that hook. The second thing that I always found annoying, both in terms of general hassle and, yes, in terms of concern for releasing the fish in as good a shape as possible, was the way that any of the types of mesh nets I ever used had a tendency to snag the jaws or sometimes the fins of the fish. I saw an immediate, night and day difference in each of these areas when I started using a lightweight, rubber bagged net, and I'd be willing to bet that if you or anyone else borrowed one for a short while, you too would quickly be struck by how much easier and quicker the whole process becomes.

John N,

For me, it's not about easier or quicker. I don't need, nor desire convenience in every facet of my life and certainly not where my trout net is concerned. Sometimes a mouse trap is just a mouse trap and no "improvement" is necessary or desired! There is no way I would EVER consider putting one of those rubber nets on my net. I put way too much time and effort into building one. Put them on aluminum or graphite nets where no one would care, but to stick one of those abominations on a beautiful piece of woodworking is aesthetically disturbing! This is just my not-so-humble-opinion, and I obviously will not be swayed by any amount of opinions to the contrary. I guess this rubber netting is where I've drawn my line in the sand! LOL! Buy and use what you want - it's your money! My opinion is tax free, but I do have a "no return" policy!

John N - This is not directed at you personally, but feel that these rubber nets are an affront to my sense of aesthethics, and maybe I am stuck in my "old school" ways, when it comes to trout nets!

Best regards, Dave S.

+ Reply to Thread