Closed Thread

Thread: Sage blanks made over seas?

Default Sage blanks made over seas?

I was told by a person in the fly rod business that Sage has many blanks made overseas. I always thought that Sage made their rods and blanks in the USA. So I went to their sight to look for the statement "made in the USA". I did not find it. Did I miss something about the changes at Sage?
    I was also told that Winston is having many more of their blanks made overseas also.

I would not be surprised if this is the case. Bought one of their Click II reels (retail at $300) a month ago and there is a little sticker on reel seat that states "Made in Korea." Now, if the reel cost $30, i would expect it to be made offshore.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

I went on their web sight again and did not find the "made in USA" in their description of their rods.

Blog Entries

Sage still makes their rods up here at Bainbridge Island, blank or complete. They do import their Redington rods however. If you have any doubt, go to the Sage website and send them an email. They will respond back to you, but it may take a few days.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I beleive that times are a changin'
    You live in the area, and are a Sage fisher, so maybe you have a contact that can clarify this.

What you fail to realize is that the blank can be rolled offshore, imported to their factory, wrapped and be called made in usa. Remember their is a fine line difference between made and manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    I was told by a person in the fly rod business....
    Yeah, I know what. Let's start unfounded rumors. Unless you or your friend in the fly rod business have a link to back up the claim, maybe you shouldn't post it.

Korea has been pumping out some damfine rod blanks these last few years. Even in the linked newspaper article, Sage doesn't say they make ALL their rods in Washington. Anyone who paid $300 for a click-drag fly reel made in Asia has been taken advantage of. $50 for the reel, $250 for the Sage sticker. Marketing hype. We've done this to ourselves.

Sorry, I won't see this continue. ALL Sage rods are made on Bainbridge Island. Period. I lived there for many years, spent a lot on time at the plant, know most of the folks there. Pick a new topic, this one is closed.

Closed Thread