+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Ultimate Fly Fishing App Review

Default Orvis Ultimate Fly Fishing App Review

Anyone else have this app on their phone or iPad?

I found it very awesome, and worth the steep $14.99 price.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it, if you have it.

I reviewed it fully, here - http://www.outdoorfreaks.net/?p=168

I might be (or not) too young to be technically challenged...but sometimes I still am. My kids each have iPod Touch's....and have a bevy of apps on them.
    With my cell phone, I can access the internet, social networking sites, etc...but it isn't an iPhone. My technically-challenged question is this: Will this app work on most non-iPhone cell phones?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

"First off let me say that I aspire to be a polished, educated, and gentle fly fisherman."

Your quote from the link. In order for that to happen, you need to leave the phone in the car, on the kitchen table at home, or turn on that app, throw it in the river 10 minutes before you start fishing so the trouts know what they are supposed to be doing.

Just mt 2% of a dollar, YMMV.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

As an app junkie I've been eyeing this app for a while. My biggest concern is the price, like most things Orvis it is over-priced pure and simple. They are trying to get around that with the $10 coupon they send you after registering, but I get Orvis coupons like that in the mail all the time, and I didn't have to spend $14.99 to get them. I think Orvis would find they would have a better response to this app if they just dropped the price to $4.99 and went from there. I've only spent more than $5 on one app for either my iPhone or iPad and that was a photo editing utility with an amazing list of features. So far nothing I've seen in reviews of the Orivs application has tempted me to drop $14.99 on it, and this review doesn't change that fact.
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

@FishnDave - it depends on what phone you have. If it's a "SMARTPHONE" then you should be fine. I'm impressed with your phone skills!

@Kaboom - The app has nothing to do with being on the water, like I said - it's basically a how-to fly fishing guide, on your phone. It's good for getting my fly fishing fix, when I'm in the airport, for example. Thanks for the comment!

@Brian - Right, Orvis is cashy. With everything. I do think you'd be impressed with the functionality, however. But in paying $14.99- that's a big feat. Thanks very much for your input!

Again, if you're NOT a novice - this probably isn't the app for you. But being that I'm a newbie, and extremely unpolished on my farm pond....I think it was a good buy for my mobile purposed. You'd certainly be able to find the same content online, albeit from a number of sources. Here, it's in one app - on my phone, always.

Looks like its an iPhone/iPad or Android app. Not available for HP's WebOS (Palm Pre, Pre+, or Pixi) or Windows phones. I haven't purchased it, but it actually looks pretty cool. You could buy the book or the app. If you're an electronics gadget hound, it might be pretty fun.

Jeff

Blog Entries

icall2much,

I am just an old dinosaur and even though I have a cell phone, I just use it as a standard old cell phone.

That said, actually the app really only cost you $4.99 since you received a $10 Orvis gift certificate, something that can always be used.
    Looks like it should be a very handy app--ie: a useful tool for a quick reference on flies, fishing, gear, the works. If I was into apps I would most likely buy that also.

Good choice.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Out here we shoot people who bring their phones on the river. We especially shoot people who can't carry on a conversation without consulting a smartphone. *S*

I cannot imagine ever needing an app on a phone having to do with flyfishing, especially one from Orvi$. Info here at FAOL is FREE. Leave the phone at home and enjoy the outdoors.

My 2 cents.

All you Orvis "knockers", why don't y'all just not buy and shut up. Your disdain implies that it's overpriced junk they sell. If that were the case, they'd be out of business YESTERDAY. AND if they keep up their practices they'll be out of business for sure in no less than two hundred years. I hate BMW and Ferrarri for the same reason.

Mark
    PS: I too am not paying for a fishing ap but I envy the dude that thought of the concept. I wish I had though of it.

@Jeff - neat perspective, thanks for the comment. Like I said, something that that is neat to poke around on, when you need your fix.

@sage - YES! Handy is a great way to put it. Quick reference, like you said. Especially useful for someone like myself who doesn't know the ins and outs of this great sport - yet!

@DG - Nowhere did I say that I needed the app, or even imply such. I don't need it. And like I said, EVERYTHING on the app can be found online, for free. But if you want it all in one simple, useful and function app - this is for you. Sounds like you don't. Completely understandable. Please keep your gun in your holster.

@Marco - Like I said in the review, as a marketing and branding junkie, I'm fascinated by the company. Premium price stuff, but like you mentioned - they back it up. The Orvis app is the only thing I own, made my Orvis. The company is fascinating to me though!

+ Reply to Thread