+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Is Everyone Handling The Ridiculous Gas Prices?

Our March fuel bill was $850...My favorite stream is 100 miles away at 7000'. I live at 280' elevation...
    If I was Lance Armstrong maybe I would do it, but I'm an old fat guy.

The gas prices have hurt me bad like everyone else, although like PALongbow says, the water has been high here in PA. I just read my notes and I've made only 16 fishing trips up to today. I justify my gas purchased for fishing because it's my only hobby, vice, etc. The prices still have a negative impact, especially since I drive 250 per week to work. When the gas price settles to about $2.50 a gallon I can handle it pretty well.

Blog Entries

I just 'pay the piper' and go about like before. I love driving my Dodge MegaCab too much to think of down sizing, not to mention any vehicle I got would cost me a whole lot more than the gas I buy for my rig, plus the otehr people riding in my rig love all the room and comfort. So, like I said, I just pay the piper.

Larry ---sagefisher---

What ? Don't you guys get the Senior Citizens Discount at the pump.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I"m switching from a 460 V-8 pickup with camper (10 mpg) to a VW Wagon (diesel) pulling a motorcycle tent trailer (44 mpg). The former is still for sale and we are taking our maiden fising trip with the tent trailer ( Krumob Res.) next week.

Blog Entries

I would love to see a pic of the Tent trailer. I did not know that those tent trailers got that much per gallon!! J/K

Quote Originally Posted by TB Wannabe View Post
    I"m switching from a 460 V-8 pickup with camper (10 mpg) to a VW Wagon (diesel) pulling a motorcycle tent trailer (44 mpg). The former is still for sale and we are taking our maiden fising trip with the tent trailer ( Krumob Res.) next week.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Will a Chevy Volt pull itself up the boat ramp after launching a 16' aluminum fishing boat? Better question is will a Chevy Volt pull the same boat down the freeway at the minimum speed required in most states?

I think I might be a bit confused, will a Chevy Volt even pull the boat out of the driveway?

I am just looking at the option to get a more efficient vehicle as suggested by the folks that are messing up the economy for all of us.

fishbum
    Last edited by fishbum; 06-05-2011 at 12:57 AM.

I drive a 3/4 ton van that gets 13 mpg around town, and 17 mpg on the highway. It's my business vehicle so there is no way I could downsize it and still stay in business. Instead, I charge a $10 surcharge on every service call to cover the fuel increase. I'm not lowering my profit margin just because some idiots in Washington make lousy decisions that cause the world to get scared and jack up oil futures. If you want lower gas prices, fire your representatives in Washington who are making bad decisions that cause the prices to rise. Do this until we get common sense back in the majority, and not the minority where it currently resides.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Gas prices caused me to think twice about my recent trip, but then I figured I have only so many years left to complete my bucket list. I hauled my Aliner camper out to Bakersfield where it served as a great guest bedroom whle I visited a son and his wife and played with a granddaughter. Then it helped me tour the magnificent national parks and monuments in southern Utah on the way back to CO. The worst gas price I hit was $4.23 in Barstow. I think $3.75 was the lowest. The camper costs me 3 MPG on the flats. Lord knows what it does in the mountains. But you know what?

I am so happy I took this trip!!! I'd be happy at $8/gallon --though I would far prefer under $2. Life is too short to let gas prices get in the way of doing the things you love. I'd give up a lot of other things before I'd give up a trip like this one.

BTW, Bryce Canyon should be on everybody's bucket list and there are spectacular Indian rock art panels 4 miles north of I-70 Utah exit 187, unmarked and unannounced until you get there.

oldfart,

It never cost too much to play with our grandchildren Glad to hear your trip was such a success.

fishbum

+ Reply to Thread