+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need the Name of a Book

Default Need the Name of a Book

HELP:

I've been searching for a book containing fly fishing stories/essays. It's an older book and I believe the editor was Nick Lyons. Unfortunately I do not know the name of the author or the book in which the story/essay originally appeared. Here's a short gist of the story line as I recall(been a long time and this may not be totally correct):

Fly fisherman goes to an auction to get a table, or maybe a chair, for his wife. There, while looking over the furniture he sees a bunch rod cases. When he opens the cases and examines the contents he finds boo flyrods by famous rod builders. His attention and anticipation goes to the rods especially since the auction advertisement did not mention them. However, shortly before they are auctioned, many fly fishermen appear and he is outbid on all but one rod. Upset and annoyed, he forgets about the furniture and goes home. Later in the story he wakes up in the hospital, I think. His wife tells him that she thought he was going to die so she gave the flyrod to his friend. It was his friend that he had outbid for the rod back when. -

Well, the story went something like that.

Anyone know the story, the author and the name of the book? OR, in which of Nick Lyons' books does the story appear?

Thanks for your help.

Allan

The story was written by John Taintor Foote. Try to find his book, long out of print (he died in 1950) called "Anglers All". Can't help you with the Nick Lyons volume.

Chuck

If you want it badly enough I found it here:
    http://www.flyepenbooks.com/Catalogue/E_F.html
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Fisherman's Bounty by Nick Lyons...one copy on our shelf and the other one donated to the Fly Fishing Library at Montana State last summer.
    We sent them a list of what we had, they picked about 1,000 we brought from my home in Washington. Trav packed them up and we delivered them to the school. We received a nice "thank you" and an invitation to visit our books at the library which we will do this summer.

Thanks all. I'll start searching for one of these.

Allan

I see a copy of Footes book on Abebooks. Looks like it's in Ohio.
    Peter

Thanks guys(generic). I just ordered a copy of Lyons' book.

Allan

Well, I bought a copy of Lyons', Fisherman's Bounty and it was delivered today. Unfortunately the story by John Tainter Foote that I am seeking is not in the book and although I'll enjoy what is in this book, I guess my quest for that particular story continues.
    I am pretty sure that Lyons has the story in one of his compilations but don't know which one. Other than buying the book by Foote, does anyone know for sure where it resides among the Lyons books?

Thanks.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 05-09-2011 at 07:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread