+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To clip or not to clip.

I notch.

As I stated in the "Biggest Myths" thread, the hackle coming straight down does not help float the fly, therefore it does not float the fly higher. Remember the pin trick? Lay a flat pin on top of a bowl of water - it floats. Place it on the water tip first - watch it sink.

Hackle isn't hollow either. It won't float like deer hair.

The fly is supported by the hackle coming from the sides of the hook.

The advantage of notching isn't to get the fly riding lower in the water (since the unnotched fly is riding that low already). Rather the advantage of notching is to ensure that the fly "cocks" properly when it lands.

Question

To clip or not to clip, that is the question!

I do not clip, mine work just fine for me.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

8T,

A fly is a tool. There is no correct or incorrect, as obviously all the versions as discussed of this fly catch fish.

If the fly you are using is doing the job you want it to, there is no reason to modify it.

However, if you feel there is a reason for such a modification, i.e., you want the fly to sit straighter on the water, you want it to sit lower, etc., then you can 'clip'.

I'm all for modifying flies or using different ties in different conditions. It's all about getting the fly to do what you need it to do.

I tend to have both 'unclipped' and 'clipped' EHCs in my box, but I don't clip a 'V', I clip mine flat across the bottom. I also carry foam bodied versions, longs and short hackled versions, and both hair and poly yarn winged versions. All for specific situations I run into from time to time.

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 04-12-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

8T,

I say notch a few and see what happens! If it doesn't work, trim them some more and use them as nymphs! LOL!!

Best regards, Dave S.

Blog Entries

I sit squarely in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." camp.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I don't clip the hackles when I tie them, but occasionally do on stream. Just carry a pair scissors in your vest and if your getting rejections try clipping one.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thank you for your excellent input on the EHC. It looks like the majority of us are non-notchers. I think that Bugsy makes an excellent point that trimming bottom hackle is not needed in most situations because the bulky wing pushes the fly down in the water and gives a strong body outline already----the EHC hardly sits on its tip toes when tied in the normal fashion. I also omit that hackle on smaller flies (#18 and above). As Bamboozle suggests, I go with a smaller sized hackle than normal on all my EHC. However, I will definitely experiment a little bit, and try some notched EHCs particularly in slower water. For those asking about the gentleman who suggested my EHC needed some additional trimming, he just a passing acquaintance. I was not complaining about any fly to him. I believe that he suffered from the same problem that I and many older anglers share. We are just so full of wisdom and knowledge that when we open our mouth, it comes out uncontrollably. 8T

Kevin,

I'm in the "you can't tell if it's broke until you try to fix it " camp! LOL!!

Best regards, Dave S.

Obviously more testing is needed. Back to the laboratory.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I have watched many of the Parks Fly Shop tying videos and Mr Wesie does clip a notch on the bottom of many of his fly patterns such as the Clacka Cadis and others. If a profesional guide and tyier like him does this there must be a pretty good reason for it. I have tried to copy his methods as closely as possible because I am sure that he has caught a lot more trout than I ever will and I need all the edge I can get.

+ Reply to Thread