+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leader to tippet connection - loop to loop?

I use loop to loop, but with the non-slip mono loop knot, which is a near 100% knot when tied correctly. Done this with mono, poly, furled, and twisted leaders. Agree with BigA on the weed and algae thing. Haven't ever noticed a difference in hook ups.

I usually pre tie my tippets at home. Put a strong loop in the leader connection end. Put a quick overhand loop in the fly end. Loop multiple tippets together and wind on an old tippet spool or other spool. I can make up a lot of tippets while watching a ball game.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 04-07-2011 at 03:13 PM.

I've done the loop to loop on the bigger fish, usually stay with the double surgeon's knot for regular run-of-the mill trout and pan fishing. We have some ponds in this area that have alga and when fishing for brem & bass, using a wet fly, nymph or even a popper, both the loop/loop or DS knot, will pick up the vegetation. Often when fishing these ponds (or even the river using a popper), I'll simply use a straight mono leader.

I've used a loop-2-loop connection both at the fly line / leader end (with a short piece of mono and a perfection loop) as well as at the leader/tippet end and haven't had any issues. I've also done the surgeon's knot.

One other option I didn't see anyone mention - I purchased a couple furled leaders one time that came with a tiny tippet ring at the tippet end of the leader. You can order them from various locations. I've tried them and I like them also. Tie them into the tippet end of your leader and you have a small ring that you can thread your tippet through and then tie using whatever knot you like. Saves having to cut back on the leader to change tippets. I've even seen them used as a connection point for a dropper line.

Lots of options ...
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

All excellent suggestions! Thanks. I knew I could count on the collective experiences on FOAL.

+ Reply to Thread