+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Zap A Gap, Super Glue, or Gorilla Glue

There was a time that I was very concerned about the head unravelling but since finishing with either a Materelli or Thompson whip finisher, I've ever had a problem. I suspect 2-3 half hitches will do the trick too unless you want to biuld up a head for appearance sake.

Hi Raider Hunter,

You've already gotten several good replies. The only thing I can add is Gorilla Glue's natural expansion can be used to make ant bodies directly on your hooks. It takes a bit of practice to get the right amount for a particular hook size but after placing the glue on a hook shank place it immediately in a rotating dryer to cure. A fly tier from Arizona named Gordon (something or other) once showed me an ant body he made out of some type of expanding glue but I don't remember who it was or the name of the product. Anyway regarding head cement, I recommend using a regular head cement or finger nail polish as already recommended by several other members of FAOL. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - (Gretchen &) Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

I have a concern. I have long used & preferred the LocTite brand brush on super glue for my foam spiders as it bonds well & holds up well while fishing. It now comes in a different container & is a different glue/consistency. The stuff I like is water thin & easily applied. The new stuff is thick & "syrupy", creating a mess removing brush from bottle & is a pain to apply neatly & sparingly.
    Has anyone used a brush on glue that is thin, works with foam, & durable when fished? Any brands mentioned are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hi Mike;

I've been using brush on "crazy glue" brand cya for the same purpose, available at Wally World. They even have a brush on thin cya that goes on purple but dries clear. I like that one the best when I can find it. It's really no different then there clear product other than color, thin and glues foam really well. After I open the bottle it goes bad in about 3 months but then again don't they all?

Wayneb

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    Hi Mike;

I've been using brush on "crazy glue" brand cya for the same purpose, available at Wally World. They even have a brush on thin cya that goes on purple but dries clear. I like that one the best when I can find it. It's really no different then there clear product other than color, thin and glues foam really well. After I open the bottle it goes bad in about 3 months but then again don't they all?

Wayneb
    Thanks for the info Wayne. The color change stuff sounds great as it will also allow instant verification that the coverage wanted was obtained. I'll pick some up & hope to see you at the VA Festival.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

Hi Mike;

If you can't find any in your area, let me know and I'll pick you up a bottle and bring it to the festival.

Wayne

Wayne,
    I really trusted you on this one buddy! Bought 3 jars at Walmart (only $2.77 each). I'm anxious to use it. What the heck, if it's lousy I'll just lace your box of fudge with the remainder!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Hi Mike;

Why three, it's almost always in stock at Wally World??

I bet the extra would make some real chewy fudge LOL!

Wayneb

really stick to your ribs.

I only paint the head on a fly if I am going to put eyes on it. Otherwise a 3 to 6 turn whip finish lasts as long as my knots hold up. I will use a drop of SH or superglue where I want to be sure materials stay put while I finish a fly.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    Hi Mike;

Why three, it's almost always in stock at Wally World??

I bet the extra would make some real chewy fudge LOL!

Wayneb
    Because it's inexpensive & that's WHY I'm shopping now....because these darned companies see fit to discontinue great products frequently. At least I have 3 bottles!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread