+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A couple of Carvings...

That there's some good stuff guys. I haven't done any carving in wood for several years. All my wood stuff went up in a house fire, and I haven't gotten back into it. Instead, I've been carving small stuff with a power tool, using antler as medium. If somebody would give me a jab in the ribs with a sharp stick, I might get the knives and band-aids out again. Here's a sample of what I do with the antler. These are tie-tacs. Kind of on a par with what Fishdog does with his toothpics.

They're just fish, right? Right?

You guys got skills...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Not very satisfied with the paint job on this Brown. Will have to repaint.

Another one that needs to be painted again.

This one didn't turn out too bad.

And one more.

There's some good looking carvings around here !

Neat carvings! Very talented. I wish I had the ability.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Crazy good skilz you guys have. Wish I had the patience for doing the larger stuff. My attention span is a couple of hours, and then I'm off to something else. Same with tying flies. I think it comes closer to being lazy than A.D.D.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Lew,
    With the beautiful carving you show above I must disagree with you. You have the skill to carve anything you want.
    I know my attention span is not what it once was, so I carve pieces and parts of a duck. I block it out, rough out the block, do the side pnls. the tail, etc. I plan on spending no more than one hour at a time on a carving. Most of the time I get so involved I spend more time but then I must be having fun. If it starts to not be fun, lay it down. If you are interested in carving a duck, I have a booklet here someplace that is almost like a dot to dot instructions. I have used this with my students for many years. Our classes always ran one night per week, for two hours. Some carve at home but many only carve during the class. If you want to, I can see the hand skills you already have are way ahead of most of my students. If you want, contact me e-mail, denny@conranch and we will get you going. Several of my students have gone on to become World Class Carvers. I have never charged anything for my classes. Students buy only their wood and own tools. Have loaned tools to some so they can determine what works best for their hands.
    I love those tie tacks!!

Denny
    Denny

Lew,

I blame it on El Nino! BTW, my toothpick workings are for sale - as a matter of fact I'm working on a toothpick right now - I'm addicted to em! Nice work guys - I think I might try some of that chainsaw carving. I've got a big wooden beam down in the basement that doesn't appear(?) to be supporting a whole lot, that might be good to practice on! LOL!!!

Best regards, Dave the nitwhittler.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrom View Post
    Not very satisfied with the paint job on this Brown. Will have to repaint.

Another one that needs to be painted again.

This one didn't turn out too bad.

And one more.
    Spectacular! Are the flies tied or carved? Either way they are spectacular too!

By the way if you send me the less than perfect ones I will gladly properly "dispose" of them for you on my tying desk top book shelf! L.o.L.!

Nighthawk,
    Thank you for the compliments.
    The flies are tied by me. I've been tying since the early '60's when I was fortunate to have taken George Harvey's class when I was a student at Penn State.
    I see you are in Penna., my brother and I still own a camp on the Allegheny River near Tionesta. Will be in the area late July for my (oh, my gosh) 50th High School class reunion.
    My carvings are not for sale, I carve them for myself, gifts to some select friends and for some fundraisers.

+ Reply to Thread