+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going out west

Default Going out west

We are taking a family trip out west this year. Gonna get some fishing in and maybe do a little backpacking. We are going at the end of june. What flies should i tie, and what rod should i bring? My 8 weight or my 6 weight. Thanks
    CD

How far west? You going to the Rockies ? Pacific coast? Not trying to be snide, but something a little more specific would make it easier for folks to help you out.

Regards,
    Scott

Give us a general idea where you are thinking of heading. "Out West" ? That's like saying your going to Austraila... Out West is Huge and varied.

If you're looking at places like Yellowstone, or Colorado even... your 6wt is fine. If your fishing for salmon on the Pacific coast...thats a whole other ball of wax.
    Many rivers "out west" are not fishable in June or early July. Yellowstone area fishing isn't in full swing until the middle of July. (15th)

Walk and wade or guided float? Do you have a float tube or small boat for still water fishing or is it just river fishing you want.

More details needed before we can assist you.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 02-21-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

we are going to be around yellowstone and the tetons. Probably just walk and wade.

Blog Entries

cdpaul,

You will only need your 6 weight for trout.

As for the flies, pick the rivers you want to fish then call a local fly shop to check with them. There are so many rivers in that area and they vary greatly regarding fly choice. Do have some nymphs with you, say size 18's like Lightening Bugs, Flashback PT's, Flashback Hare's Ears, Prince Nymphs, Amex's, San Juan Worms in size 16, to either use as a dropper off your dry or with a nymphing rig.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 02-21-2011 at 08:21 PM.

6wt would be perfect.
    4-6x leaders & tippets
    No Lead in YNP

Dries:
    Elk Hair Caddis
    Stimulators (Stone fly patterns)
    Rubber Legs
    PMD's
    BWO's

Nymph's
    BH PT & PT
    CJ's Asst Colors
    Lg Zebra Brassie
    Bitch Creek
    BH Prince/Psycho Prince

Wet
    Soft Hackle patterns 14-20
    Woolly Buggers & Woolly Worms
    Partridge & Red
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

almost all the flies on my web page will work there.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Late June you will have few fishable backcountry options besides Grebe and Cascade Lake, or Shoshone Lake for bigger fish. The Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison will be fishable. The Gardner will just be coming into shape. Everything else will still be in snowmelt unless we have an exceptionally warm May.

Weather, runoff may limit some of your options. Yellowstone River will probably be high and dirty; NE end of the park probably the same. West side of the park probably a safer bet; Madison, Firehole and Gibbon should still be fishing well (although early, warm weather could affect them, too). Madison outside of the park could be good as long as Beaver Creek and West Fork aren't still puking mud; salmonflies may be coming off. South end of the park, Snake River will probably be high and dirty and you should exercise extreme caution if you're thinking about wading it; that is very serious water even in prime flows and you can get in trouble in a hurry. 6 wt should be just what you need.

Regards,
    Scott

cd,
    If you don't mind telling us, What is YOUR favorite fly that you use there in Michigan during that time of year? The fly that you catch fish on.

BTW your going to Fly Fishing Heaven. I know that you won't think you had enough time spent there when you return home, but enjoy every minute your there.

...and where exactly did the name Grand Teton come from anyway? I know, but I know your young mind might get a kick out of the answer.

Why not bring both rods?
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread