+ Reply to Thread

Thread: islamorada may

Default islamorada may

I will be taking the trip for the first time to come down and tarpon fish in early may. What other fish will I have the chance to cast at while down at that time? Is there bones and permit around that time of year? Anything else? I am going with some experienced guys but would like a realistic idea of what I can expect.
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    I will be taking the trip for the first time to come down and tarpon fish in early may. What other fish will I have the chance to cast at while down at that time? Is there bones and permit around that time of year? Anything else? I am going with some experienced guys but would like a realistic idea of what I can expect.
    -Jeff
    May is a beautiful time of year to be in the keys. Bones are pretty much always around but they are wise old men down there, not as easy as in the Bahamas. You might see some permit. I believe March and April are prime months for them but you never know. But tarpon are king at that time of year so concentrate on them and have a ball! Practice casting 40' with no or one false casts - pick it up and lay it down as is said down there. Having said all of the above, I confess to not being an expert at all, just an enthusiast.

Bones, permit and tarpon will be the prime species, but you can expect a variety of other fish including baracuda and jack cravelle. Actually, I would work on longer casts, in the 70 foot to 80 foot range, although you may not need them. Saltwater fish move around a lot more than trout or warmwater fish, so you can't always get within 40 feet of them. Plus, if you can make a 70 to 80 foot cast, your accuracy in the wind will be better at shorter distances.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

practice the double haul. I think your trip is that of a lifetime. It sounds magical to me. Now get your big rod out and double haul.
    Paul

Thanks for the info. I can't tell you how excited I am for this trip. I am ok up to 70-80 feet in my yard but that is not the same as a windy flat with a 100lb fish swimming in front of me. I will be getting a 10wt soon and plan on being in mid season form by then. My double haul is a trout stream cast. Has anyone cast an NRX yet? and whats with the ugly blue wraps?

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

http://www.catch-em-all.com/calendar.php along with that assuming primarily flats fishing, always keep a couple longer, eel like flies pretied on short wire leaders for Cudas and something bigger for Sharks. I tie them with a short wire leader complete with a little loop just big enough to slip over a tarpon, bonefish or permit fly's hook point. That way you can instantly change to a Cuda or Shark fly and up your odds of fun. Along the deeper side of the flat's edges you may want to work a Clouser or something similar for Snapper and grouper. Lots of fish and fishing that time of the year. Should you opt for a trip to an area with Mangroves, ie the Glades, carry a few Deceivers and Clousers in mostly white for Snook also. Should you get offshore a bit, the dolphin are fun and a great fly rod fish.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Thanks for the info. I can't tell you how excited I am for this trip. I am ok up to 70-80 feet in my yard but that is not the same as a windy flat with a 100lb fish swimming in front of me. I will be getting a 10wt soon and plan on being in mid season form by then. My double haul is a trout stream cast. Has anyone cast an NRX yet? and whats with the ugly blue wraps?
    I advised in a earlier post working on 40' casts. Note I said with one or no false casts. If you are staked out, those fish can be on you in a hurry and you have to be able to get that fly in the water fast with accuracy. 80' casts are fun but aren't always the money casts.

I own a 5 wt NRX. The wraps are truly unfortunate but it's a wonderful casting and fish fighting tool. I've been told that it's even better in the higher line weights.

+ Reply to Thread