+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFing near Boston in March

Default FFing near Boston in March

Do any of you guys/gals know of good flywater (trout) close to Boston in March? I'm headed out there for the first time ever and really need to wet a line...

thanks in advance,
    Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Randy:

Unless you know someone who belongs to one of the few private trout ponds in the suburbs of boston (and there is no ice) you will need to drive at least 90 mins to find a place where you are certain to find trout.

Your options are the Swift in Belchertown (a pretty easy drive down the Mass Pike) and a number of public ponds on the Cape.

There are some other places as well that are farther away. You might want to check with Dave Micus to see if he know of any good trout haunts up in Ipswich. I seem to recall that there may be some action in the fresh water parts of the Ipswich River.

[This message has been edited by eponymous (edited 26 January 2006).]

thanks,

I'll actually be about 30 miles north of Boston, in Chelmsford...

------------------
    ~Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
    Jack Handy~
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Randy,

About 40-45 min. away is the Still Water River in Sterling and the Quinapoxet River in West Boylston. They do get stocked but they also have some nice little natives. The Still also has some small salmon around the 6-8" range.

A.J.

Try the Squannacook in Townsend MA. It's not that far from Chelmsford. Or the Nissitisit in Pepperal.

I live near the HOT spot on the Ipswich River. Being in Chelmsford though I think you will do better at the other locations mentioned. Why? Because those are productive places that I fish too! If the water level is high, and it probaly will be, you will want to check back here for water flows.

------------------
    Some of the best questions are asked by the least educated!

Right outside of Boston and within just a short drive of the city is both Walden Pond (of H. D. Thoreau fame) and White's Pond. Both are stocked with rainbows and browns by the Commonwealth. In the city proper is Jamaica Pond, also stocked by the state with trout and occasionally brood stock Atlantic salmon of bragging size. Tight lines, Alec

the month of march can be a tough call.
    as time gets closer give Andy a shout, he may be able to steer you in the right direction. [url=http://concordoutfitters.com/:dba22]http://concordoutfitters.com/[/url:dba22]

------------------
    do what u like, like what u do

Walden Pond (of H. D. Thoreau fame) and White's Pond. Both are stocked with rainbows and browns by the Commonwealth.
    Do you happen to know when they stock the browns at Walden? Id love a shot at some

Anthony,

Here is your link for stocking info in MA.
    [url=http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwtrout.htm:a5c6d]http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwtrout.htm[/url:a5c6d]

jed

+ Reply to Thread